Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmushow

jmushow

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

I was running Windows 7, 64 bit and developed a HD issue.  All of a sudden I cannot boot up from my HD.  It gives the error "A disk read error occurred.  Press CTRL+Alt+Del to restart".  I do not have a Windows DVD so I need to reboot from my USB which I have done before but can't remember which program I used.

Thanks for any assistance.

Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

Disk read errors can result from various things...but the first thing I would do is disconnect the hard drive and then reattach both cables to same.

Then...boot into BIOS and see if the hard drive is properly represented on the main screen and on the boot tab.

If hard drive is not presented properly...you have a problem needing further exploration.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 jmushow

jmushow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

I'm not 100% sure about what you mean "...reattach both cables to same"?  Do you mean attach both cables together or just disconnect/reconnect the cables to make sure that their plugged in correctly?

To give you an update, I did try to run a HDD diagnostic from my BIOS.  First, it does indicated that my HDD is there, and second the test immediately fails at 0% completed with Error=0000; Read Verification Failed.

Any thoughts? ...or does this need to be sent into someone to see if its a total loss?

System is an Lenovo Thinkpad Edge laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users