Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Keyboard not recognized in Win7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 customsbroker

customsbroker

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

Hi,

I am trying to install a USB keyboard on a PC that has only ever used a PS2 keyboard.

When I connect the USB keyboard nothing happens. Restart the PC with the new USB keyboard and PS2 keyboard disconnected and I get a pop up that says device driver software was not successfully installed. unknown device failed.

Device manager doesn't show section for keyboard. under USB controllers there is 1 with an "!" that says unknown device. Try and update the drivers and just says the driver software for your device is up to date - unknown device. "!" still remains.

I have spent the better part of 3 hours searching on Google for help but I have yet to come across a solution as all the threads I have looked at just end without an answer. But this does seem to be a common problem. 

I ran the microsoft fix it program and it also came back with the same thing, unable to connect device all drivers up to date.

Model is a Gateway GT5426E

Windows 7 32bit

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-J

Edited by customsbroker, 07 January 2015 - 10:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,099 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

Posting the brand and model of the new keyboard may help others in assisting you.

Other than that, have you tried more than just one USB jack?

Have you searched for drivers for the new keyboard on the manufacturer's site?

EDIT: Did the old keyboard fail or experience problems? If so, explain.

Edited by buddy215, 07 January 2015 - 10:22 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 customsbroker

customsbroker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

Posting the brand and model of the new keyboard may help others in assisting you.

Other than that, have you tried more than just one USB jack?

Have you searched for drivers for the new keyboard on the manufacturer's site?

EDIT: Did the old keyboard fail or experience problems? If so, explain.

It's an el-cheapo Compaq keyboard from the mid 2000s that is being used with another new-ish PC currently. 

I tried it in all ports to no avail. The ports all function as they accept flash drives, printers etc... it's just the keyboard that doesn't work.

the reason behind this enquiry is because I need to attach a USB barcode scanner. The scanner will not function at all due to missing USB keyboard drivers (from what I have read on the forums). A USB keyboard must be connected to the USB port first before the scanner will work after. and no, there are no downloadable drivers for that specific model of barcode scanner.

Once this works the PS2 keyboard will be reconnected for future typing needs.

Edited by customsbroker, 07 January 2015 - 10:33 AM.

#4 customsbroker

customsbroker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

Can anyone help?

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

I would go buy a new keyboard- you can get one for less than 20 bucks!

#6 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

Sometimes I have to restart Windows after connecting a USB keyboard before the driver will install correctly in Windows.

I thought maybe you were using a passive USB to PS/2 adapter with your PS/2 keyboard. Those work with keyboards that have the hardware built in to them for switching from a PS/2 connection to USB. Those don't work with all PS/2 keyboards.

Maybe the keyboard isn't the problem. The USB controller driver you're using in Windows might not work very well. Though, usually the drivers installed with Windows 7 will work well enough. I checked Gateway's support site for a USB controller driver (I expect the USB controller driver is bundled with the chipset driver) for Windows 7. Found only drivers for Vista. You have a Gateway computer but maybe the motherboard wasn't made by Gateway. It has an Nvidia chipset. If you can find a model number on the motherboard you might be able to find an alternate place on the Internet to get drivers for it and find Windows 7 drivers.

I checked for an alternate place to get drivers. According to Gateway here your motherboard has an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE chipset. I checked Nvidia's site (Drivers, All Nvidia Drivers, Legacy, nForce 4 Series, nForce 430 / GeForce 6150SE, Windows Vista 32-bit) and found a driver for Vista and Win 7. However, the release date for the driver from Nvidia's site (2009.10.1) is earlier than the release date for the driver from Gateway's site (2010/07/21). I'm not sure about the driver version numbers. The driver from Gateway's site isn't labeled as Win 7 compatible but it probably is.

When I want another cheap keyboard I often get them from a thrift store for a couple dollars. Look for one that looks new and has no grime. Check the space bar, shift, and enter keys to be sure they're not worn out and come back up like other less used keys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users