Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:04 PM

I was looking around to get an idea of what i might want to put in my pc when i build it and i started looking at ram. I was looking and there is like eight or so different voltages that it comes in.

How am i suppposed to know what voltage to get?

When i was looking at motherboards it did not specify and particular voltage. The processors made no specification either.

What determines what voltage ram i should get?

here is a link to some of teh stuff i was looking at.

processor

motherboard

Thanks for any and all help!

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

Nothing, the motherboard is compatible with all the voltages (as long as the memory is DDR2) except the ones you find on the most rare extreme overclocking memory, and even that memory can run a the voltages the motherboard supports.

Instead of bothering trying to get all the specs to match up just use a memory configurator. You can find them on most memory manufacturers homepages. Here is Corsair's memory configurator.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:50 PM

all right. thanks for the help. Sorry about the dumb questions, im pretty new to this.

Thanks again

Edited by luciusad2004, 21 June 2006 - 06:50 PM.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users