Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ctrl-alt-del not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seg42

seg42

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

I have windows 7 64 bit with Asus p8z68-v le motherboard. The ctrl+alt+delete key stroke has stopped working. The individual keys themselves seem to work fine. I have tried different keyboards (USB and PS2), different USB ports, rebooting without the keyboard attached and then readding it and rebooting again, removing the keyboard from the device manager and rediscovering it, checking the bios to make sure nothing looked amiss there, trying it in safe mode which didn't work either, flashing the bios (mb is an , if that matters), reinstalling windows from scratch, and threatening to hit the machine with a hammer. Nothing has made the keystroke work.

Since I reinstalled windows, it had to be some kind of issue with the bios, and it hasn't always done this. Since flashing the bios didn't seem to help, I'm at a loss. If anybody has any ideas where to go from here, I'd appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

Does ctrl-shift-esc work in starting Task Manager?

Right click on the Taskbar. Select Task Manager. Does that work?

#3 seg42

seg42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

It does not bring up task manager, but right clicking and selecting does.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

I am not sure but from the looks of it somehow the motherboard is not getting the key sequence from the keyboard. Does the Windows key work when used with other keys like E for Computer and L for Login Screen?

#5 seg42

seg42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

The windows key works fine, so do any of the other keystrokes I've tried, just not ctrl-alt-del. I'm baffled. I thought that if there was somehow a corruption in the bios that wasn't allowing it to recognize the keystroke, that flashing the bios would fix it, but that failed, so I'm at a loss.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

This is a strange one. The only thing I can think of is some startup item may be causing the issue or perhaps some setting buried in BIOS but I never heard of that one.

You can check your startup items by running msconfig and look under the startup tab. Disable one at a time and then do a Ctrl Alt Del after boot. You can use ProcessLibrary to determine if one is essential if you are not sure what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users