Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to save Windows 8.1 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Supernaut88

Supernaut88

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

I have been using windows 8 since spring of 2013. I have always declined to upgrade to windows 8.1 when it comes up. This is because I have very limited bandwidth and can not afford to burn that up several times. The 8.1 upgrade is over 3gb to my knowledge. And I mean several times because I am one of those guys that likes to reformat every 6 months to a year or so. I am running into some situations now where a program will not run without the 8.1 update. I am wondering if there is a way I can save the 8.1 update as file that I can store on an external drive so I won't have to download it more than once.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

In my opinion the best option will be to install all the Windows 8.1 updates and setup everything according to your needs then create a full image of the System, if some problem arise you can restore the system to the state it was when you created the image very fast without the need of reinstalling everything again.

This guide explain how to do the backup using a free tool Macrium reflect imaging tool

Alternatively you can download the full Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft and burn the ISO into a DVD, choosing this method you have to install windows and also download and install all the drivers for your computer then the programs you use, etc.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Blaine B.

Blaine B.

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

Does this help at all?  Looks like you can download an .iso once, and then burn it to a disk for repeated uses.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users