Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans not running, is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JulianG

JulianG

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

I just noticed that all 3 of my fans on my PC are not running.

There are 2 on the side and 1 on the back, at first I thought there were 2 on the back, 1 towards the top and one in the middle, but it turns out the one at the top isn't a fan, it's just blowing lots of hot air out of it. (atleast I don't think it's a fan)
I've taken some pictures (one with an arrow pointing at the only area where hot air is being blown) aswell as a screenshot of my specs, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated :)

http://imgur.com/a/5MXfk

I should also add that I recently cleaned out my PC for the first time in a LONG time, so I possibly may have knocked something I shouldn't have but I doubt it and I should also add that here in australia it is currently 40degrees during the day and 30degrees during the night.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:44 PM

Since those are LED fans and the lights are on, I would assume the blades should be turning. Desktop fans generally always run unless set specifically not to in the bios, it is possible it just isn't hot enough for the fans to run, if the motherboard is controlling them.

You may have bumped a 12v connector slightly lose while you were dusting the computer out, those LED's might run on the 5v line.

The power supply should have a fan (which likely explains why you feel warm air coming out where you mention), generally it is not something you see as it pulls air from the bottom (inside the case) and blows out the rear. I would try to get those fans turning as it will help keep the total case temp down.

Edited by zingo156, 07 January 2015 - 01:48 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 JulianG

JulianG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

Now that I think about it, there is a fan coming from the power supply but its on the inside of the machine, putting downwards.

That is the only fan that is running though, the one in the middle at the back is not and I do not know why :(

#4 JulianG

JulianG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:50 AM

turns out the fans had just died, a mate helped me out and I bought 3 new ones, cheers lads!:)

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

Sounds good! Fans do wear out, often if the machine has been running for years without stopping, when the fan stops, it just never starts back up. happy computing!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users