Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a better way?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:35 AM

I have quite a lot of hard drives now.  They are not in their own enclosures, but just simply the hard drive itself (SATA I, II, III).  The problem is I have to keep switching them in and out when I want to access the drive.  It's very tedious to bend over, reach inside the computer tower, plug in the SATA cable and power cable and unplug them again when I have a dozen drives or so.

I know there are such things as multi-drive bays but they are so expensive.  I had a duo SATA bay dock where I could put 2 HDDs in there and then plug in the usb and it would read 2 drives.

Is there any other way to read multiple drives at once other than paying $500 for a 4 drive bay?  Or am I stuck with just having to plug in and plug out drives one at a time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

I really don't know your computer's setup but .. why keep disconnecting them?

Maybe .. consolodate your programs onto one drive? 

Get a motherboard/case that supports more than 2 drives ? (leave them connected)

This is not 500 bux... I suspect you were looking at NAS enclosures.

#3 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

cornflakes2

I'm using 2 of these in my Desktop Tower. 

Kingwin KF-1000

It's not a multi-bay solution but it's a fast way to swap out HDD's.

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.   Yeah, maybe it's a raid system I was looking at? 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3580297&CatId=4269

These sort of multi drive bays for some reason are so expensive, but I can buy duo drive bays for under $100.  

Yes, my motherboard is able to connect 4 hard drives directly (if I unplug the dvd drive), but the issue is I don't

want to have the hard drives on all the time when my computer is on.  I just want to have it set up and ready to go

whenever I need it.  I worry that if I just connect them directly to the mobo, they'll be turned on everytime i turn on my

computer but I don't need it all the time.  I don't want to waste it's life so I prefer if I could just manually turn 

whichever drive on and off when I need to use it without always having to plug and unplug them.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/140592-hard-drive-turn-off-hard-disk-after-idle-never.html     I was curious about your post - heres what I found- maybe this will work for you-

#6 heartgram777

heartgram777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563966/my-laptop-will-not-connect-to-network;-all-other-devices-do/?p=3603031

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:56 AM

I have a pair of Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 4 Bay 3.5" Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA and highly recommend them.  You don't have to fill all four slots at once.  The drives act like directly connected drives, no special formatting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users