Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which hard drive to install on a LENOVO G580 2689 Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smithcraig

smithcraig

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:46 AM

Hey All,

I have a LENOVO G580 2689 Laptop. It has:

Intel Core i3 2.40GHz (i3-3110M)
DDR3 (4GB)
No hard drive

Windows 8 sticker.

I would like to install a 1TG Hard drive. Which hard drive is compatiable with this laptop? Also it has a Windows 8 sticker underneath the laptop but the Windows 8 serial key is not present. Where can I find the licence key for this machine? Are they stored in the BIOS/motherboard?

Thank you in advance! :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgey579

hedgey579

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

Try this for the HDD: http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Hard-Drive-Lenovo-G580/dp/B00M4OGZQI. As for the windows 8 serial key, I don't know. My lenovo Y410p doesn't have the serial key on it, but I had no problems installing windows 8.1.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

If you download and install Speccy by Piriform, when you run it you will find your license key under 'Operating system'. Speccy is a free download which you can get from BC here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

If you ever have occasion to publish a speccy report (or rather the URL linking to your report) this is one of the bits of data that doesn't get published.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

The Windows key is stored in BIOS. If there is no hard drive in the computer with Windows you can boot a linux live CD and use the commands shown here to pull the key.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 January 2015 - 07:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users