Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU Problems due to bad power?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

Now, nobody seemed interested in it when I posted on the building thread. Maybe it was because I was in the wrong thread, maybe it's because it was as long as the bible. Nonetheless I never got a response like I used to when I came here years ago. Anyway, I'll try to make it short and sweet this time.

My build uses the Corsair CX500, and I THOUGHT it was fault due to all the batcrap crazy sounds it was making. Moaning, whirring, buzzing, clicking, croaking. Then I switch to one of the "newer" outlets in my house and bam, the only sound I still hear is whining, which might just be my refurb gpu. 

My question is, will an ungrounded outlet REALLY cause problems like that? My dad had his Gateway plugged into the same outlet for 8 years! (Which may explain why it acted up as it got older, or may not.)

Another question is IF my PSU truly WAS making these sounds and doing this crazy thing where I wake up and my rigs blinking on and off (Front fan, side mobo light, speakers),
If bad power actually causes things to go wrong,
How many bad reviews are due to people using an outlet that had a shoddy wiring job done on it?

I know we can't get a realistic number but I'd imagine the amount of people claiming a faulty drive, is actually due to their own house hating them, is amazing.

I'd love to hear anyone's opinion. Maybe anyone who works in or just knows/learned about electrical can comment?
Thanks everyone for your time :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:03 AM

I can definitely tell you that problems with power can cause issues. During a brown out in a large town, I saw more psu failures than I normally see with lightning strikes. Maybe this is due to the brown out affecting a larger area, anyway, fluctuating power can cause issues. A newer power supply might handle issues like this better than older ones, I only saw older psu's fail in most cases but this fluctuation is what killed them.

Not having a ground might become a larger problem at higher currents. Most standard computers do not use much more than 200watts, a gaming rig with a descrete card can use much more which might also cause problems.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

That makes plenty of sense. Being that my dads old and now dead computers PSU was rated at 300, by what youre saying it didn't much matter to it. Although I'm sure somewhere down the line it played a role in its death.
I have a 500w power supply so there is a slight difference. I'm going to link a video of what my rig did a couple times, randomly.
This was right before work (both times.) so there wasnt diddle doodly i could do at the time other than shut off my power supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6maeS2IcTcs&feature=youtu.be

The first time it happened, i flipped my switch back on and it worked fine like it never happened. The second time, switched it on, and it was happening again. I then figured it was a loose cable so I opened up and reset them. (Didn't SEEM like a loose cable, by myself and many other people agree the 24pin connector on this psu is a bit troublesome)
After resetting I remembered the time a bad outlet made my guitar shock me after it had gathered a charge, and switched outlets. No problem since

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

I will watch the video a bit later (I am at work with no speakers or headphones), if you are getting shocked by any device plugged into an outlet, it means you have a ground issue. Those same shocks or current build up can destroy delicate electronics such as computers easily. Certain electronics may handle shocks better than others, computers are very sensitive when it comes to voltages spikes. Vacuum cleaners or fans are probably not going to be killed as easily by those shocks, fans are pretty tough when it comes to voltage spikes at least from what I have seen.

Edited by zingo156, 09 January 2015 - 08:08 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

That makes me glad that I moved all my stuff into its current room, regardless of having to share it with somebody. There was only one available outlet in the last room, and it was ungrounded.
Would that explain why my laptop battery only lasts 30 minutes at this point? (If that)

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

It is possible it affected the battery, how old is the battery? More likely it is just getting old, generally batteries last between 1 year to 2 at the most. In rare cases batteries have lasted 3-4 years but that is not common with newer batteries in my experience.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

The problem may not be the power outlet in that room but the way other peripherals on other outlets are connected to the PC.

#8 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:48 AM

@Nova Before the switch everything was on JUST this outlet, so thats how i know it's the outlet.

@Zingo, It started to go bloopy after a year so I guess the outlet didn't make much of a difference

A New battery is about the price of my left foot lol

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

Batteries have pretty specific charge circuits which should protect against most voltage spikes etc, likely your battery is worn out. I watched the video, definitely seems strange. Anything is possible with bad/dirty power.

Batteries are expensive for laptops, sometimes you can get a genuine battery from china (will take about 17-30 days for shipping depending on your location), but they usually are cheaper. Just make certain to buy a brand name genuine battery, I have bad luck with generic batteries.

#10 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:46 AM

I never bothered to even pay for a new battery. I found out quickly using the laptop as just that gave me neck shoulder and back pain, 
I find that having it on a desk and eye level as possible makes it more comfortable, even though it's a less comfortable position. I'm sure you get what I'm saying lol
The battery lasts long enough for me to save anything and shut down in case of a power outage, that's good enough at this point :) Thanks for all of your help, and thoughts.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:19 AM

Glad to help, I suffer from a bad back and use my laptop at eye level as well. It is good for posture.

Edited by zingo156, 10 January 2015 - 07:19 AM.

#12 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

I would recommend replacing the PSU to another one of a higher wattage. Also if U are using it for heavy games like Advanced Warfare then it will get very hot and make a sort of buzzy noise. Sometimes PSU's do that when the components in the PC that are installed along with it are too much for the PSU to handle. If U keep on using your PSU then it may either shut the PC down due to overheating or worst case scenario blow up your PC and explode. I really recommend a replacement PSU for your desktop.

#13 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

I would just like to add that it may not be ' just that outlet ' But what other devices you have on that Fuse's circuit.  Do you have the old screw in fuses or the newer ' flip ' fuses?  Most likely if its an older home it could be a 15 amp fuse when you turn it off what other rooms/ devices shutuoff with it?  Is the microwave on the same circuit probly not a good idea.  Vent fans wired to the same ? You may be able to get an electrician to give you your own fuse/pull a new line to the breaker for your ' computer room' so that no other household devices ' interfere' with your ' clean power ' assuming power to the house is clean. 

#14 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:37 PM

Maybe your house runs on faulty wiring. You should get an electrician to help with your problem.

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

I would just like to add that it may not be ' just that outlet ' But what other devices you have on that Fuse's circuit.  Do you have the old screw in fuses or the newer ' flip ' fuses?  Most likely if its an older home it could be a 15 amp fuse when you turn it off what other rooms/ devices shutuoff with it?  Is the microwave on the same circuit probly not a good idea.  Vent fans wired to the same ? You may be able to get an electrician to give you your own fuse/pull a new line to the breaker for your ' computer room' so that no other household devices ' interfere' with your ' clean power ' assuming power to the house is clean. 

This is actually good advice, to add to things that should be on their own breaker: laser printers, the average laser printer draws ~700 watts when printing. I have seen multiple clients that were tripping breakers in the winter because they were using space heaters ~1000 watts, plus a laser printer, and had their computer in the same power strip all at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users