Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating system not found error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ounayss

Ounayss

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:11 AM

Hello,
I need your help guys !!
Yesterday I was working on my laptop sony vaio vgn fw51, suddenly it became very very slow, so I turned it off, but when I turned it back on I got this message : operating system not found"
I went into the F2 bios menu, it says under Hard Disk : ATAPI, but no other information on the capacity or anything else.
I removed the hard drive, connected it to another pc via a two different usb "things", but it wasn't recognized on either.
Replacing the hard drive is not a problem but the data is what's important to me.
Is there anyone that can help me???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

You could try connecting the drive to a different computer using actual sata connectors and see if it is recognized in the bios, in some cases when a drive has failed or rather partially failed, I have been able to get data using tools such as GetDataBack, or RStudio, or TestDisk. It depends on how the drive failed. If the drive is not recognized by any computer, and the data is extremely important it is best left to a well known company to get data back such as Drive Savers, or OnTrack Data Recovery. This can be quite expensive, generally around $1000.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Ounayss

Ounayss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

I will try these Tools (GetDataBack, or RStudio, or TestDisk) and get back to you. The last time I turned on my laptob I could hear the drive moving (no clicking sound which is a good thing I guess) but I think that it's getting power. I will also get hold of a win7 dvd and try to repair the system if that's the problem.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

If the disk is failing generally I do not recommend writing anything to the disk, at least not before trying to get data. If data is important, try everything you can to get that first and in order of importance, failing hard drives often stop responding entirely.

I have had good luck with all of those tools if the drive was still recognized at a bios level. After that success drops off quickly.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Ounayss

Ounayss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

Thank you for the quick answer. I don't know if you have any idea about sony laptops, but what does it to mean to have this in bios hard disk drive : ATAPI, and not showing the capacity??

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

ATAPI stands for: ATA Packet Interface  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATA_Packet_Interface

I am not sure exactly what it means in bios when it says this, is there any other information such as the drive name? Generally if there is no drive name or size shown, something is seriously wrong with the drive or possibly the sata controller in the computer.

If you have a different computer you can attach the drive directly to, (not using usb), that might help, from a different computer see how the bios sees the drive.

#7 Ounayss

Ounayss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

So I hooked it up to another laptop and I inserted a win7 dvd... the result : no hard drive detected to install win7. I'm think it's no longer a possible software problem, rather a hardware one.

It would really help if someone know of a possible way to get the data without having to look for a big tech company which is already hard since I'm in Morocco for the moment.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

I currently know of no way to get data back if the drive is not recognized at a bios level without replacing hardware in the hard drive itself (depending on what is broken). Replacing internal components requires a clean room.

#9 Ounayss

Ounayss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

This is what I got so far:

Connected the drive on several laptops and PCs, as internal and external drive, no luck getting it recognized either on bios, ms-dos or windows.

When connected the drive is spinning, no clicking sound or any strange movement, it's seems very normal.

My question is : is it safe to say it's a hardware problem, and can I assume that it's because of either the mother board of the drive or the "head that reads from the disc inside??

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

I would say yes, it is safe to assume it is hardware related. It is possible it is the controller/logic/pcb board, these boards you used to be able to replace with an identical board from an identical donor drive and in some cases the drive would work fine again (if the board was the problem). I have heard this stopped working when drives went over 250gb, but I am not certain as I have never tried replacing the controller board on a drive larger than 160gb. Out of the 20-30 times I replaced a pcb board, about 50% of the time it worked. This was all on older drives not larger than 160gb as mentioned. When replacing the pcb's you need to make sure that it is 100% identical example of numbers on the pcb: http://www.hddzone.com/western_digital_pcb_swap_replacement_guide.html

It may also be an issue with the head or the actuating device that moves the head into position. Taking a drive apart (taking the top metal plate off) is not recommended unless you have the tools, a clean room, and experience taking them apart. If data is important you may have to send this one in. You can replace the pcb board relatively easily but unless it is for certain the issue, it might be a waste of money and time. If the data is important I'd recommend you send it in, just know that it won't be cheap.

Edited by zingo156, 09 January 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#11 Ounayss

Ounayss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

So I decided to give it to the professionals as advised. I can't risk messing with sensitive components that I've never handeled before. Will post the results as soon I can. Wish me luck ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users