Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My 2.5'' hdd enclosure is not recognized/Win 7

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:08 AM

Hello everyone, my laptop died (the power supply and the battery both dead - I didn't drop it, hdd is not damaged) and I bought an enclosure to transfer my files.

It won't make a sound when I plug it in, not show up in management nor on my computer.

I don't wanna lose my files (300 GB of work) so please don't prompt me to format... Help??

Thank you very much

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:55 AM

When you say it does not make a sound when attached, are you talking about the USB attachment sound?

It's possible the USB bridge card on the enclosure is bad. If you bought it locally take it back and get a new one or RMA it.

The drive may show in Disk Management. Make sure and scroll through the list. If the drive does not have a letter assigned to it, it's easy to miss.

Do you have the ability to pull the drive from the enclosure and attach to another desktop computer with a power and data SATA cable?

You can order one of these. For a laptop drive you could get away with one of these as the USB port powers the drive. You would need a SATA data cable though.

Have you tried attaching the drive to a different USB port or to another computer?

#3 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

When you say it does not make a sound when attached, are you talking about the USB attachment sound?

It's possible the USB bridge card on the enclosure is bad. If you bought it locally take it back and get a new one or RMA it.

The drive may show in Disk Management. Make sure and scroll through the list. If the drive does not have a letter assigned to it, it's easy to miss.

Do you have the ability to pull the drive from the enclosure and attach to another desktop computer with a power and data SATA cable?

You can order one of these. For a laptop drive you could get away with one of these as the USB port powers the drive. You would need a SATA data cable though.

Have you tried attaching the drive to a different USB port or to another computer?

Yes, I can't hear the usb device attachment sound... Nor any popup for installation appears.

Could it be a malfunctioning product or could it be my machine that has a diffirent OS than that on the disk?

Could I boot that installation of windows somehow? (2 partitioned disk with first partition to be the system)

Unfortunately not, the disk does not come up in the disk management.

Uhm, I don't know if I could attach it as an internal on my desktop pc? It's 2.5" Sata and my desktop uses 3.5" Sata 3.

I'd be tempted to use the cable you propose, but if it didnt power enough neither my other 3.5" enclosure HDDs would work, right?

I have tried my USB hub but no avail. I don't have another PC to try right now but my guess is that it won't change much.

The light on the enclosure case is on though; and I can listen to the HDD working - very light sound...

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

No USB attachment sound makes me think the USB bridge card is bad or possibly the cable itself. You could try removing the drive from the encloure and reattach. It's good though you can here the drive spinning. I would RMA the enclosure if possible.

Does not make a difference what OS is on the USB enclosure. Could be anything except if it was formatted with a linux file system Windows would not see it.

Are you talking about taking the enclosure drive out and putting it in your new computer? I don't think you can boot a OS from a different computer,too many driver issues. The OS on the External would have different hardware drivers. You could try it. At least see if it boots up. It depends on how new the laptop is. If it has Windows 8 with UEFI there may be a problem. You would have to disable Secure Boot in BIOS and change the mode to Legacy Boot as your old drive probably has a MBR partition and the new drive GPT.

The second USB adapter cable I proposed can only power a 2.5 drive because there is no power brick. For 3.5 drives you would need a power brick as shown in the first link

Was the USB hub you have a powered Hub? It's possible your USB ports do not have enough power for the USB enclosure but even then you should still hear a USB attachment sound. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager with the USB enclosure attached?

Do you have another external drive available?

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 January 2015 - 10:49 AM.

#5 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

No USB attachment sound makes me think the USB bridge card is bad or possibly the cable itself. You could try removing the drive from the encloure and reattach. It's good though you can here the drive spinning. I would RMA the enclosure if possible.

Does not make a difference what OS is on the USB enclosure. Could be anything except if it was formatted with a linux file system Windows would not see it.

Are you talking about taking the enclosure drive out and putting it in your new computer? I don't think you can boot a OS from a different computer,too many driver issues. The OS on the External would have different hardware drivers. You could try it. At least see if it boots up. It depends on how new the laptop is. If it has Windows 8 with UEFI there may be a problem. You would have to disable Secure Boot in BIOS and change the mode to Legacy Boot as your old drive probably has a MBR partition and the new drive GPT.

The second USB adapter cable I proposed can only power a 2.5 drive because there is no power brick. For 3.5 drives you would need a power brick as shown in the first link

Was the USB hub you have a powered Hub? It's possible your USB ports do not have enough power for the USB enclosure but even then you should still hear a USB attachment sound. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager with the USB enclosure attached?

Do you have another external drive available?

You are very right with the drivers and all, it's not the same system, it won't get me anywhere.

So even though it was partitioned etc I should see it under dev man and disk man (I'm sorry I never had done this before, only used disks for clear external use).

I have already tried to disable Fast Boot and Legacy is already on, on my BIOS... No avail.

No, none of my hubs are externally powered... But if I wait from my experience as an ebay user (because I doubt I'll find something like that locally) I 'll have to wait at least 20 days for the item and I already waited for this enclosure 5 or 6 months due to economic problems...

Is it normal even if my product is faulty, to get power and to hear the spinning?

Apparently I don't have any other drives available. :(

I only see under USB ports in the devman one device to be "Unknown" and it is the hdd, am sure because it wasn't there before I plug the disk in...

Edit:

Also it's not detected in the BIOS as the other drives and flashes I plug in.

Could I put it in my desktop as an internal but secondary/slave?

Edited by Shadowdance, 07 January 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

In your post #3 you said "I don't have another PC to try right now but my guess is that it won't change much" In the previous post you said if you could put it in your desktop. Have you tried attaching the USB enclosure to the desktop?

If the drive powers up but you see the unknown device in Device Manager, I would bet it's the USB bridge card in the enclosure. I am assuming the drive in the enclosure is SATA. If it's SATA and your desktop has available SATA ports, just plug it in. There is no Slave/Master setting on a SATA drive.

Yes, if the drive is partitioned you should see if no matter what Microsoft OS is on the computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 January 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#7 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

In your post #3 you said "I don't have another PC to try right now but my guess is that it won't change much" In the previous post you said if you could put it in your desktop. Have you tried attaching the USB enclosure to the desktop?

If the drive powers up but you see the unknown device in Device Manager, I would bet it's the USB bridge card in the enclosure. I am assuming the drive in the enclosure is SATA. If it's SATA and your desktop has available SATA ports, just plug it in. There is no Slave/Master setting on a SATA drive.

Yes, if the drive is partitioned you should see if no matter what Microsoft OS is on the computer.

Well to clarify, I now use a new desktop PC, which is the only available at the moment to try it externally and/or internally. I've plugged in all my USB hubs, the device acts the same... I asked about switching it to internal because at the moment I don't have another PC to try plug it in and thought I might save myself some trouble.

Yes the hdd is Sata and my desktop's hdd is sata 3, so I could give it a try plug it in?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

You can try the following. Download FatDog64 linux. This will avoid the need to remove the drive from the enclosure and open your desktop if Fatdog can pick up the USB drive.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/Fatdog64-631.iso

Burn the iso file to a CD by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. You will need to disable Secure Boot in BIOS.

Boot to the Fatdog desktop. Attach the USB enclosure. You should see a USB icon appear on the desktop. If not go no further. You will need to attach the USB drive to your desktop. You would need another SATA data cable and a available SATA power cable coming from the PSU.

If it does appear click once on it and the FIle Manager will open. You can select files and folder by left click and dragging a Window around them. In the lower left of the desktop will be a hard drive icon. If you have one hard drive in the desktop it will be labled sda1. Click once on it and another File Manager window will open. You can drage the selected files to the HDD File Manger. A small windows will appear. Select Copy and Quiet. Your files will be copied. If you do not have a CD/DVD disk you can also use a USB flash drive. Let me know if you would want to do this.

Just to mention, in BIOS Legacy boot can also be called CSM boot.

#9 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

Will this work, the enclosure case has compatibility (or so it says) for Win and MacOS... :(

I tried ubuntu from flash usb, knoppix too and none seem to pick up the disk, should I proceed with Fatdog?

No problem about the confusion, I might haven't been clear myself :)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

No, if Ubuntu and knoppix did not pick up the drive, do not proceed. Follow through and try connecting to the desktop. Remove the power cord. Open the case and ground yourself first on some bare metal.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 January 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#11 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

Alright, will proceed and come back to you in a couple of hours

#12 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:40 AM

Alright. Before I started, I wanted to take a closer look to the manual.

And seriously I feel dump, because I don't understand what it means.

jfxico.jpg

I don't understand the equipment manager, nor the option in the cmos.

I'm pretty sure my bios doesn't have an option like this.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

Something definitely got lost in translation. Penal should be Panel. And Equipment Manager is Device Manager.

If you can see a USB flash drive there you should see this enclosure and. I never have heard of that CMOS setting either.

You said you had a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. Right click and select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware ID's. What does the first line say. Have you attached the drive to the desktop?

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 January 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#14 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

As I plugged it in, it popped up "Driver failed to install" ...

Now in my dev man I only see SM Bus Controller to be with yellow "!" but nothing in my USB devices.

Edit: I updated the SM Bus Controller driver, rebooted, still the drive is nowhere to be found.

Guess my only solution is to connect it in my desktop.

Edited by Shadowdance, 08 January 2015 - 11:21 AM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

SMB Bus Controller is your Desktop computer?

You said As I plugged it in, it popped up "Driver failed to install" ... You didn't plug in the SATA drive to the desktop as it was powered on did you even though it's possible with SATA drives.

From Drive Failed to Install, it seems there is a issue with the drive itself. If you unattach the drive and boot the computer, is the yellow exclamation mark still present?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users