Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scamed by iyogi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alvinn

Alvinn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:53 AM

Hello,

I just joined this forum.  I don't know a lot about computers, but do know we all need protection.  A few months ago I switched from AVG to AVAST, but I'm not very happy with AVAST.  I find their scan reports hard to understand.  I have trouble figuring out what I'm supposed to do with what it finds.  It's not really clear.  But, what bothers me is that little pop-up at the bottom right of the screen that offers more goodies.  One day I bit on it for some kind of anonymous web surfing.   The cost was $89.00.  When I got to the last step of the order, nothing happened.  There was no recognition that I'd received anything, so I called AVAST to see if I had this special protection, and they said "No".  Then they said that they didn't even post the charge and wanted me to believe that some rogue outfit had used their name.  Could that even be possible?  The 89 dollar charge is still on my credit card.  I need to have my cc company straighten this out, but I'd like to hear what you think about AVAST, and I'd like to know if you think there are any honest companies out there.

Thanks, Alvinn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:09 AM

Could you please elaborate on the scenario of which there was a pop-up and you paying for something that cost $89.00?

Depending upon what happened, it is possible that there was a pop-up that consisted of some sort of scam/rogue spyware/etc., which lured you into paying $89.00.

AVAST is a legitimate company. So, it seems doubtful that AVAST would engage in unprofessional (and illegal) business practices (e.g. deception, rip-of, etc.) if you were to have purchased an AVAST product such as its paid-for Internet Security or Premier suite.

#3 Alvinn

Alvinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:31 AM

I can try to elaborate, WAM,

This was a few months ago, so I don't remember much more about it than what I've already said.  But, when I type Avast into my browser, instead of getting a bunch of urls, I'm taken directly to Avast.com, their download page.  In order to get something other than "download" I have to say "Avast-Google Search" to get urls.  Well, I decided to talk to them tonight about this issue, went to the urls and found one that said something like "Avast support", clicked  on it and didn't notice that it's really iyogi.  Of course, iyogi just wants in your pants, I'm sorry, into your computer and that's what ended up happening.   I had trouble understanding Mohammed because of his, I'm guessing, Pakistani accent and after about half an hour of his clicking around in my computer, including into my email account, I told him I did not see why I had to go through all of this.  As it turned out, given his question at the end of the half hour, "What did you want me to do?", I doubt that Mohammed had any intention of helping me.  I asked him to get out of my computer and he started doing something else in it.  But, I finally convinced him I needed to hang up and he went through the motions of removing himself and said good-bye.  Then I went to my program files and there he was in all of his glory!  When I did the uninstall from the Start menu, there were more than 200 files that had to be removed.  Just for the heck of it, I copied their names and saved them.

Vaguely, I remember now something about iyogi the first time around.  In fact, I think Avast told me that they used to be affiliated but no longer are.  Do you think that iyogi would be able to claim to represent Avast without the approval of Avast....to have a url not far below Avast.com with no disapproval from Avast? 

#4 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:49 AM

Much obliged for the elaboration.

After a quick google search for "iyogi," it is most likely a scam that probably functions in typical scam-like procedures. Also, after doing a google search for "iyogi avast," there is plenty of info, including AVAST threads and reports in general about iyogi being a scam that may even harm and/or infect your computer.

This article here explains well about iyogi and how it is extremely unprofessional.

Do you happen to know what your purchase was for when you paid $89.00? In other words, is it listed as a purchase to AVAST or something else?

Just to notify you, a bleeping expert such as quietman, animal or some other Bleeping Community staff will respond to this thread most likely within twelve hours or so. They are most knowledgeable and friendly people, who will be able to assist you on this issue. In the mean time, I will help you as best as I can.

Edited by Without_A_Monitor, 07 January 2015 - 03:39 AM.

#5 Alvinn

Alvinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:53 AM

Hello WAM,

I was able to find both purchases.  They were both made in October of 2014.  The first is the Avast virus protection, the second, the "Make Me Invisible" purchase for web surfing.

DRI*AVAST SOFTWARE orderfind.com MN 39.98

PAYPAL *DR INC USD AVAST 402-935-7733 MN 89.99

While I was being entertained by Mohammed earlier this evening, I noticed he asked me if the pop-up in question had ever appeared again.  I told him it might have once.  Isn't it interesting that it just appeared again when I went to my bank account.  Geez, I sure hope I got these guys totally out of my  computer!

Anyway, here's what the pop-up says:  In the left upper corner is the Avast logo with the words "Avast Internet Security"  Below that are the words, "Anyone can monitor and log your Internet Activity", then, "Hide My Activity, Now.  I clicked on the pop-up and got "Avast Store" in the upper left-hand corner.  Then, the words "Avast Secure Line VPN", then "Make Me Invisible, Now".  That was enough clicking.

Thank you for showing interest in this.  There certainly seems to be something fishy going on.  Maybe we can prevent others from stepping into this trap.

I look forward to hearing from some other community members.  Surely I can't be the only one who's been visited by iyogi.

#6 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:36 AM

First and foremost, I highly advise you to not do anything that involves any sort of financial activity on your machine at this time. As I said, another staff member, one who is much more informed than I, will be able to help you on this issue within eight hours or sooner.

It seems that your machine is still infected with whatever iyogi has directly or indirectly installed and/or invaded your machine.

You said that you have already spoken to legitimate AVAST employee(s) about the payments, right? If so, the employee(s) told you that no payments were made to AVAST, correct? If it is the case that you spoke to AVAST employee(s) and you did not purchase anything directly from AVAST, it is most probable that whatever you purchased is scamware/rogueware/etc.

A simple google search provides numerous webpages that consist of that number with fraudulent charges. I would strongly recommend to you to contact your credit card company and urge them to take action to find out about these charges and that you were illegitimately duped into those purchases.

As for the performance and maintenance of your machine, please again note that another Bleeping Community staff member, one who is an expert, will soon post in this thread to help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users