Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External ip accessing my Windows Explorer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StevenM3

StevenM3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:12 AM

I was having a conversation on skype and firefox open but not browsing. So only this 2 app running. 
Suddenly I saw the effect when you open a new window, but in fact it didn't appear anything.
So I opened Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 - and watched the processes on "Network Activity". 
It was showing "Skype" and "Windows Explorer".
The strange thing is that Windows Explorer was making activity downloading and uploading (just a few kb) from an USA ip 
*23*.*62*.*237*.*14*. Then after 1 minute Windows Explorer went away from Kasersky List and remained only Skype.
I want to add some additional details about my friend I was talking in skype: He is not from USA and he was using Skype on Android smartphone.

Was my Windows Explorer remote controlled by someone else?
Is my pc infected?
Is it normal for Windows Explorer to make network activity?
Or there is nothing to worry about??
Is the ip related to any update server from Microsoft or any other software?

My system: Win 8.1 (64 bit)
Modem UPNP: Unchecked
Skype use port 80 and 443 connection: Unchecked
Protection: Kaspersky Internet Security 2015

Edited by StevenM3, 07 January 2015 - 05:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:58 AM

That IP is an Akamai one. It could be one of many programs accessing one of Akamai's servers to check for

updates, etc. You can read about Akamai....Akamai Technologies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 StevenM3

StevenM3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:35 AM

That IP is an Akamai one. It could be one of many programs accessing one of Akamai's servers to check for

updates, etc. You can read about Akamai....Akamai Technologies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you for the response buddy215 .

Doesn't Akamai provide cloud server hosting for every individual?

So every person can buy a server from them and host the logs/malicous files there?

Also if the program is legitimate why should it put my current active window (Skype) out of focus for half second and run in a strange way.

Edited by StevenM3, 07 January 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

Akamai isn't in the business of selling hardware. It's business is providing strategically located servers around the world.

For instance, Twitter can make itself more convenient and a faster service by using Akamai's servers and not just servers in

one geographical location. More cost effective to use Akaima than establishing servers around the world on their own.

The brief...very brief disruption you experienced is very common. Nothing to be overly concerned about. I use Firefox and it is

not uncommon to notice one tab refreshing while I am viewing another. I allow that refreshing. If it caused a brief loss of focus

on the tab I was using that's okay with me.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users