Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No email alerts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

Does anyone else on this site fail to get email alerts? Ive asked variations of this question here a few times before during the last few years but nothings changed,I still have to log in and search for the thread to see if I have any replies? That's if I remember? Ive clicked *Follow this topic* and *Instant Email Alert* Is there something else that Ive missed? I have no problem with any other site and my Thunderbird email account hasn't any exclusions etc...

Edited by blueballs, 06 January 2015 - 09:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

I just checked your notification settings. And you do not have email notifications set for topics followed. You have them for PM's but not forum posts.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

I just checked your notification settings. And you do not have email notifications set for topics followed. You have them for PM's but not forum posts.

How do I do I go about doing this and what is a PM? I have configured every other site Ive come across to get email alerts but not this one?

Edited by blueballs, 07 January 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#4 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

How do I do I go about doing this and what is a PM? I have configured every other site Ive come across to get email alerts but not this one?

PM stands for Private Messages. About the email settings, you can change it here.

54ad6ffc68449-img.png

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

PM is Private Message.

To get reply notifications for topics you follow click the drop down arrow next to your name in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Choose My Settings. Or click the link provided by M. de Jager

On Settings page click Notification Options on the left side of the page.

In Notification Preferences look for Notification method to use for replies to followed topics
and check the box under Email

Scroll down the page and click Save Changes

While on the Options page look to see if there is anything else you want to notified for.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 January 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#6 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

Ah! Thank-you Queen-Evie. So that's where the settings were hidden,right amongst the conglomeration of text on the home page and no where else? What I don't understand is why no alerts at all is the default? If I couldn't find settings on here,then how many others haven't bothered to ask where it is for fear of looking like an idiot and gone off to Toms hardware? Maybe this site needs a spruce up so its not so counter-intuitive?

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:52 PM

I doubt Bleeping Computer can spruce up anything.
The forum is powered by Invision and they would have to change it.

The best advice I can give to anyone is to explore what the forum has to offer.
That drop down arrow next to your name? Click on it, see what's there and then find out what each of the options does by clicking on the option.

#8 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

I cant find any drop down arrow next to my name? in fact when I came back from looking, the post I had written had disappeared? Talk about unintuitive old and clunky! I think this site deserves a vBulletin forum that everyone can understand and navigate without any problems,it costs approx $AUD 200 a year and looks good to. They have their own vBulletin forum in case there are any problems changing over. All the popular forums with big memberships are without exception to my knowledge, vBulletin. Whoever decides these things should at least check it out.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

You don't see a little white arrowhead pointing down? It's between your name and the sign out icon. In the very upper right corner of every page. You have to scroll to the very top if you're further down a page.

And yes the site owner and admin staff have looked at vBulletin. It's not as robust for our needs on the back end as it needs to be.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:22 PM

This site does enable email notifications for topics you follow by default. Unfortunately, a while back an IPS upgrade disabled everyone's notification settings to not use email. You prob got hit by that.

#11 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:24 AM

You don't see a little white arrowhead pointing down? It's between your name and the sign out icon. In the very upper right corner of every page. You have to scroll to the very top if you're further down a page.

And yes the site owner and admin staff have looked at vBulletin. It's not as robust for our needs on the back end as it needs to be.

Yes, I found the little white arrow,I had been looking next to my name in my last post?  I find this (not robust enough on the back end) curious? It sounds like techno-babble to me,or someone there is being recalcitrant to change? Oh well it was only a suggestion.Thank-you for helping me finally get this email alert thing sorted,its appreciated.

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

It sounds like techno-babble to me,or someone there is being recalcitrant to change?

Just because we do not agree with you, means we are reluctant to change? Personally, I prefer IPB over vBulletin for a variety of reasons, but that is my opinion obviously. Others will vary.

#13 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

It sounds like techno-babble to me,or someone there is being recalcitrant to change?

Just because we do not agree with you, means we are reluctant to change? Personally, I prefer IPB over vBulletin for a variety of reasons, but that is my opinion obviously. Others will vary.

Who are the we and who are the others? Do you have a democratic process for deciding things, such as putting it to a vote or do you speak for everyone? Don't the members have any say at all?

Edited by blueballs, 08 January 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

To be perfectly honest...no you don't. As the owner, create, and primary programmer for the BleepingComputer.com site I am going to use what I feel is best.

#15 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

Well that says it all,I rest my case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users