Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Welcome Screen Usernames Are Gone

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 skhuggs

skhuggs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:08 PM

I turned on my computer yesterday, and it booted up and got all the way to the Welcome screen and there our usernames are gone on the right side. I have Win XP Pro, and have had it about a year now. I have not installed anything new, other then trying to delete a cmedia driver, because I don't have C-Media sound card any longer. I have tried to get into Control Panel or rather tried to find Control panel from where I am, but have not had success. My user names though are not x'd out, as I have checked that in the Management screen. I have run chkdsk, but not chkdsk /f. I have been doing tons of research today to try and run antiviral software. I am logged in as the administrator. I have no start button on my screen. (the first time I logged in before I ran a scan, I did have it, and it rebooted itself, and now the start button is gone.) When I click on a program, nothing happens, and going into the Manage screen, the Device manager is completely empty. I really do not want to lose everything by having to reinstall windows, as I have a ton of pictures and homeschooling things that I have not backed up yet. If I can avoid that if at all possible, that would be great. I downloaded HijackThis, but have not used that as I'm not sure I'm comfortable going as far as that. I have run my antivirus and it has not found anything, and I downloaded another one, and that didn't find anything either. So, any help that could be given for this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if things seem confusing, I'm just trying to remember everything I've done in the last 24 hours.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

Can you boot into safe mode with command prompt?

If you can,

1.Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state. (a date from before this probem began)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

#3 skhuggs

skhuggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:31 AM

ok, I will try that, and see if that works. I should say too, that I ran the chkdsk /f and it told me that the variable was invalid or something like that. I also cannot just click on a link to open it. It has to be right clicked and opened in a new tab. Just more info that I forgot to say.

#4 skhuggs

skhuggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

I tried that, and it tells me that System Restore is not able to protect my computer, please restart your computer and run System Restore again. It continues to give me that. I have run Trojan Hunter, found one Trojan, cleaned it and done, and I ran a Registry cleaner, and fixed all the errors there, too. I tried more then once w/rebooting, etc to run in safe mode and to do System Restore, and it's the same thing.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:41 PM

Try going to safe mode and use "last known good configuration".

#6 skhuggs

skhuggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:01 PM

when safe mode didn't work, I tried last known good configuration, and that didn't work either.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:44 PM

If you had more than one date in System Restore try an earlier date.

#8 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:23 AM

I am curious...is Norton your Anti-Virus program? There are several recent viruses that specifically attack the well-known Anti-Virus search-engine definition files, particularly for Norton and McAfee, so that THEIR virus is not detected. Viruses also turn off your system restores there are no good restore points or a last known good configuration. If Chkdsk is having problems then the system volume information has likely been affected somehow...which also could be the result of a virus. Another symptom is the forced logon as Administrator, meaning that changes are now applicable system-wide.
If you haven't done so already, use an online virus scan from a completely different Global source, such as Trend-Micro or Sophos. If this finds infections that it can not remove, you may need to either uninstall and re-install your anti-virus and/or call their tech support for assistance (didn't you pay for that in your subscription?).

#9 Marigold

Marigold

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:27 PM

If none of the other suggestions solve your problem try:-

Bring up Desktop Manager with Ctrl +Alt+Del

Click on Processes then New Process Tab

In box that comes up browse to CD Drive where windows XP Disc has been inserted
Have Windows XP Registration Number ready and open the XP Disc

Choose Windows Install

It will then install windows but recognises that Windows is in already so does a Repair Install without affecting any programs installed.

Takes about 50mins to install.

Then go to windows update site for updates to install.

I did this when I had the same problem and it worked for me.

#10 skhuggs

skhuggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

I don't have Norton or McAfee for Virus Protection. I have the SBC Yahoo AV program, and I also have Avast Antivirus. They are conflicting each other right now, because I just installed Avast when this happened.

#11 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

I'm sure a forum expert will be along soon to assist with your original problem. But while reading your thread I noticed you said you have SBC YAhoo AV and Avast both running. You don't ever want to have two AV's running on the same machine. Can cause all kinds of conflicts/problems. You should decide which one you want and fully uninstall the other. Just doing this will improve your pc's performance and may even resolve your original posted issue. Hope that helps in some way.

I used to run SBC Yahoo AV but uninstalled it and installed Avast Free Home Edition. Have had absolutely no problems with Avast. I think it's a much better product than the SBC Yahoo EZtrust AV. Seems to have better realtime protection & definitely has more frequent signature updates.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#12 skhuggs

skhuggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:01 PM

I only downloaded the AVast because the SBC AV was not working due to me not being on that part of the computer. So, I did do what someone told me and put in my Windows XP and that did not work, and I may have now lost all of my files. I had a bigger hard drive that I purchased last year, so I installed that, formatted it, and I am now using that as my main, and hoping that I will be able to get the files off of the other one somehow. So, I'm back up after being down for so long, now. Thanks for the help here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users