Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning HDD to SSD - Need advice.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tomx2x

tomx2x

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

Hi.

This will be my first time cloning to a SSD, so please advise where needed?

Looking to buy a new Dell Inspiron 11, 3000 Series laptop using 8.1 for travel purposes..

I want to purchase a  256gb Samsung SSD to replace the HDD 500gb.

From what I read, the HDD(for this laptop) uses less that 200GB of data.

Ok, so I need a freeware to Image clone my HHD to a SSD.

Currently I use Macrium Reflect for Image backups on my current laptop.

Would Reflect be a decent software to clone a HDD to a SSD?

I've also heard EaseUS is a very good product.

Besides the SSD, I also need an external enclosure(Adapter) to connect the SSD to the laptop.

Here are the steps:

1. Do a full Image Backup of my HDD(c:\) drive to an external drive

2. Perform the Image cloning operation from the HDD to the SDD

3. Upon completion, remove/replace the HDD with the SDD in my new laptop

4. Boot up the machine.

Is this the correct sequence-of-steps for a successful upgrade?

If not, what other tasks must be included before or after cloning to get a clean installation of the SSD?

Thanks.

TC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

If you are going to be cloning to a Samsung SSD I suggest using Samsung's Data Migration software. I used it when I installed a Samsung 840 EVO SSD in my Asus laptop and it was quick and easy. Basically it mirrors the data on the HHD (including the OS) and transfers it to the SSD, no fuss no muss. The software should have been included when you bought the SSD. If not you can download it from Samsung.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Lunathecat, 06 January 2015 - 08:34 PM.

#3 tomx2x

tomx2x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:28 AM

Lunathecat.

Thanks for your quick reply. I haven't purchase the new laptop or the SSD drive yet.

Just preparing my notes and getting info from you Tech experts.

2 quick questions:

1. Did you purchase the Samsong 840 EVO SSD online, If Yes,  online vendor name please. 

2. Upon completion of your SSD cloning. Did you just install the cloned SSD in your ASUS and launch your machine?

Thanks.

TC

#4 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:29 AM

tomx2x,

You're very welcome! Now to answer your questions,

I purchased the Samsung 840 EVO online from Amazon.com. Be aware though that unless you order the installation kit with the SSD, all that you will get is the SSD and a CD with the software. You will need to have a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter cable in order to complete the data transfer. These are also available on Amazon.

Yes once the cloning was completed all I had to do was power my laptop down, remove the HDD and replace it with the SSD. Once that was done I powered it back up and it booted from the SSD without issue. 

Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users