Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

502mb Ram?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:03 PM

Hi there,

My laptop is saying that I have 502MB RAM. Is that normal or is my RAM damaged. My laptop has a graphics card so it's not sharing RAM with video.

And also my screen on my laptop is cracked, how much would if cost me to get fixed? I have asked around so i'm just wanting to see if I can get a screen for my laptop at a low cost.

(Toshiba Tecra A3).
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

According to the documentation for that computer has memory allocation of either 64Mb or 128Mb of main memory. It comes with a standard 512Mb of RAM, and is expandable to 2Gbs of RAM.
If you are handy and very patient, you could replace the screen yourself. I would imagine to pay a tech to replace it would run $300 to $600 depending on the company you hire to perform the work. I would not hire "Bubba the Tech" to work on it. If you pay someone you should carefully select the company even if you have to send it back to Toshiba. My .

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/specifications.g...1&part=2956

Edited by acklan, 21 June 2006 - 07:41 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

I have seen it before. The work PC I am on at the moment has 506,480kb of RAM ( weird hey? its actually 494MB!! ). In theory if one of your RAM sticks stop working the computer stops ( correct me if I'm wrong ) and it wont actually boot until the damaged one is removed...

Okay just realised it is using 17MB of RAM for video...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:11 AM

Mine has 1024, but 64 goes to video, and it has 256 "Hyper memory" not to sure what that's for. And in any diagnostic it says I have 958MB's of RAM. But 1024-64=960?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 Daniel3679

Daniel3679

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:57 PM

try cleaning the the ram mine went like this and it was all because of a bit of dirt on the ram conections
Dan - If its not broken dont fix it

Posted Image

#6 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

Cheers guys.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser