Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could a bad power supply cause a 1T sata HDD to go bad?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:56 PM

I have a 3 year old seldom used 1T 3.5" hitachi HDD that is going bad. It's very noisy at boot up and shows 8 bad sectors (using HD diag programs).

I just bought 2 new 1T drives to install in the desktop, but I wondered if my existing power supply might be causing damage to the HDD. I currently have two other much smaller drives in the desktop but they seem to be doing fine.

I guess at this point I'm hoping it was just bad luck that the 1T drive went out. I really dont want to replace the power supply unless I need to.

This was a barebones system and besides the Chip and Ram, price was the determining factor when it was assembled.

This is a Win 8.0 system.

Thanks

Also...

As far as installing the new HDD's (and taking out the old...maybe) is this an OK plan.

1. Backup existing 1T drive to portable HD.

2. Install the 2 new HDD's...possibly keeping the existing 1T drive as drive #3.

3. Load the backup Win 8.0 ISO to the first new 1T drive? (I use Paragon 2013 which can operate from it's Boot CD).

4. Do I need to do anything with the 2nd new Hard Drive, other than attaching it?

I've never replaced a drive in anything other than an XP system, and never more than one at a time.... so I'm not sure what to expect.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

While its possible the PSU can damage hard drives.  This would normally only happen in the case of a power surge and that would probably damage the PSU and render the computer almost in operable. 

It may be interesting to know why YOU think it could be the power supply.

8 Sectors going bad on a 1tb drive does not lead me to believe the power supply is killing your Hard drives.

I would suspect more some kind of vibration or nocking the computer around while its on would give bad sectors more than a bad power supply.

You should be able to install the second drive and windows should detect it.  Windows may ask you if you want to format it which you will probably have to do.  Other than that I cannot imagine having to do anything else with the drive after you install it.

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

Thanks.

The computer is really never moved. I think it's just bad luck that the Hard Drive is going out. I know I use hibernate A LOT on it but I don't see how that's a bad thing.

I know the PSU was of average quality at best. I didn't have any real reason the suspect it was the culprit but was just curious. It's always been kind of noisy (fan wise).

I think I'll leave the one existing  1tb "bad" drive in there, but put one of the 2 new drives in as my #1 drive.

I'm thinking I'll remove the 2 smaller drives (I never need them)...then install one new hard drive and get it get set up.....then later install the 2nd hard drive when I figure out how best to utilize it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users