Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing SSD Running Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 allbenatt

allbenatt

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

I'm about to undertake swapping out my HDD with a 250GB Samsung EVO SSD.  I'll post afterward and let the community know how it went and if I'm getting noticeably better performance.

If anyone has tips to make the process go more smoothly, please post.

Here's where I'm starting:

• ASUS Laptop with 30GB SATA HDD spinning at 4500RPM
  • Windows 8.1 (upgraded from Win 8.0 which was upgraded from Win 7)
  • No CD/DVD drive but do have an external if needed
  • 2 USB ports (1 @ USB 3.0)

I don't plan to clone my current HDD to the SSD. Instead I'll do a fresh install because I've read several places that it's best (for performance and stability to install Win 8.1 directly rather than upgrading from Win 8. Is that true?

Also, I understand that cloning onto a smaller SSD involves some issues - not insurmountable but issues nonetheless.

I'll have all my docs, photos, videos backed up to an external drive and the cloud. I imagine there's some sort of profile and settings wizard that can help me preserve those but I haven't looked as yet. I have all the drivers downloaded from ASUS Support and saved to a USB stick.

There is no Recovery Image on the HDD that I can save as a backup on my external HDD or a CD or DVD - I have read that when you upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 online using the Windows Store, no recovery image is included. If Win 8 had been installed directly, it includes a Recovery Image. Anyone know different?

I can create a Recovery Image using the directions here, apparently, and use that to do the fresh install - this according to Microsoft's Support Team. And they tell me that  even though my Product Key is the one for Windows 8, I can use it for Windows 8.1 as long as I install from the media I created.  I'm hoping it will truly be a fresh install under these conditions given that I'm creating the recovery media from my existing installation. Anyone know for sure?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 snlpnstslocn

snlpnstslocn

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:32 AM

Hi allbenatt

did you manage to get this done successfully? I am looking for some guidance here but couldn't find any on bleeping.

thank you in advance.

#3 allbenatt

allbenatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:15 AM

Yes, I was successful, snlpnstslocn , and my PC is much faster, reboots very quickly, and has had no issues whatsoever. If I remember correctly, I created the recovery image from my existing installation as I described in the last paragraph of my original post and used that for what appeared to be a fresh install of Windows 8.1. 

I've now upgraded to WIN10 and it's working very well for me. Just the rare incompatibility issue with software programs, notably a couple of open source applications which no longer are being actively developed.

#4 Ronald6x13

Ronald6x13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:48 AM

allbenatt, thanks for the heads-up.

I'm about to do this..

Many of my developer programs want keys and/or localhost access ports

on C: (SSD). I'm wondering besides the Windows 8.1 reg-key how well

this will work with the new drive proccess. Returning to a typical workflow.  

In further preparation,

been installing as many programs onto my D: drive and

utilizing http://portableapps.com/apps.

Most the portable apps internet browsers, ftp tools etc..

work better than I expected.

As well as desktop utility programs work better

than expected too. Desktop/disk utils have traditionally

demanded C: drive access too..

Adding larger size restore  points to my D: and J: (external flash drive)

then reduce C: restore point.  

All these changes mentioned, have freed up enough space that I

delayed upgrading the C: SDD. Though, going to anyway

for better performance.

In my experience (since Win95) Windows always works

better when freshly installed onto a new drive.

HTH anyone else who is looking to add a new SSD.

Edited by Ronald6x13, 22 October 2015 - 06:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users