Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my pc making too much noise

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fatlind

Fatlind

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

hi people

i have just bought a dell optiplex gx620 ultra small form factory and it makes way too much noise , speedfans are working right what could it be ? 

pc specs 

Intel pentium cpu 3.00 GHz (2 cpus)

2 gb RAM

Intel 82945G express chipset family 

and it is fully clean inside there's no dust

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

I do not have experience with this specific computer, but it seems that all small form factor devices with fans (laptops, all in ones, xbox) seem to run louder than their desktop counterparts because they use faster, smaller fans which make much more noise.  You could/should use a temperature utility to check your temps, but if they are where they should be, there isn't really anything you can do.

#3 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

My experience with a Dell 780 was to get into the bios and make changes in there that fixed those fans that seemed to be trying to take off. There is information here:

I turned off the hyper threading setting in the BIOS and it really stopped the loud screaming of the CPU fan.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:16 PM

if you turn off hypterthreading, it will in essence, bottleneck your CPU causing it to not run at full force-which would cause it to run cooler, hence quieter fans. Small form factor computers often make more noise then a customary desktop-but a faulty fan can cause lots of nose to. You can often quiet them up by purchases quieter fans-but your only going to get so quiet, the smaller the fan the faster it will spin. just how it works.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Fatlind

Fatlind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

if you turn off hypterthreading, it will in essence, bottleneck your CPU causing it to not run at full force-which would cause it to run cooler, hence quieter fans. Small form factor computers often make more noise then a customary desktop-but a faulty fan can cause lots of nose to. You can often quiet them up by purchases quieter fans-but your only going to get so quiet, the smaller the fan the faster it will spin. just how it works.

how to turn off this hyperthreading

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

its in the BIOS. Just be warned your PC will slow down. If you don't use it for anything except email and web browsing you probably wont notice-you use it for anything CPU intensive and you will notice

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

My apologies, I jumped on that too quickly. The Dell 780 I have has quite an extensive bios, compared to others I have seen. Having said that, I was reviewing the bios settings I currently have that is allowing the fan to run quieter, compared to how it was when I first switched on the tower, the fan was so loud it was like it wanted to take flight.

I will try replicating the bios as it was and post what I changed. I will post those results later. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users