Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SnoopSnitch App uses radio signals to find nearby tracking devices

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

A new free App on the Google play market, created by security researchers Alex Senier, Karsten Nohl, and Tobias Engel from SRLabs in Berlin, called SnoopSnitch is now available. SnoopSnitch can detect and warn smartphone users if their devices are giving up their personal information and connecting to them. The security researchers presented their App at the recently concluded Chaos Computer Congress’ annual hackers conference in Hamburg.

The official Google Play listing reads: ‘SnoopSnitch collects and analyzes mobile radio data to make you aware of your mobile network security and to warn you about threats like fake base stations (IMSI catchers), user tracking, and SS7 attacks.’

The SnoopSnitch App scans for signals that indicate a switch from a legitimate tower to a International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI) catcher aka ‘stingray’, where information may be being collected for intercepting mobile phone traffic and tracking the movement of smart-phone users.

The app can’t prevent a smart-phone from connecting to stingrays, but it does let a user know there is surveillance in a certain area.

SnoopSnitch App uses radio signals to find nearby tracking devices

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 computerrepairwpb

computerrepairwpb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:09 AM

Hey Nick

I saw this post and thought what an awesome app so I jumped on my phone and went to the play store. I have a galaxy sph-l710 but unfortunately the play store says there is no compatible version for my phone. Do you know of an alternative that will work on my phone? Thanks

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

Too bad the news article left out an important tidbit:

*This app requires root access and will only run on devices with Qualcomm chipset.*

Kind of a selective audience, if you ask me. And loads of reviews saying it doesn't work on 'their' device.

@computerrepairwpb:I don't see a similar app of it's kind anywhere.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users