Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help...my computer is slower than my tortoise!!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Crewey

Crewey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

Hi guys, I am new to the forum, but wondered if anybody could help.  I have recently bought a PC with an Asrock Alivenf6gvsta Motherboard and AMD Phenom Quad core processor.  I switched the hard drive from my other PC into this one and it seems to be working, however it is very slow.  It had 2 Gig of Ram in it, so I upgraded and now have 10 Gig.( 1x2Gig in slot 1 and 2x4 Gig in slots 3 & 4)  Slot 2 won't recognise any memory!  The 10 Gig is recognised in the Bios, but not in the Windows System Tab.  The machine is so slow it's painful, and the extra RAM does not appear to have made any difference at all!  Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Crewey, 06 January 2015 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

If your old hard drive was set up for a different computer, i'm surprised it's even working. Did you format it and do a clean install?

That being said I have old drives in my brand new rig and they dont work all that fast either.
Also, mixing and matching memory is known to cause issues, they may be different speeds or sizes and that can conflict from what i know.
People tend to use the same ram of the same size and speed and brand. All 2gb at 1600mhz from kingston or all 4gb 1333mhz g-skill etc

It sounds like your hard drive is bogged down and using the drivers for different components so i would go about updating those, or using the new hard drive from a fresh install and putting the old one in as a storage instead

#3 Crewey

Crewey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

Thanks, I didn't want to do a clean install as I have too much stuff on my hard drive and I don't want to spend weeks re-installing it!  The 2x4 Gig sticks of Ram are the same.  I was goinf to clone the drive, but then tried putting it directly into the rig and it worked (sort of!)

Dave

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

If I understand you correctly, you are using an alternate HD with an OS (Windows 7?) installed on it that did not come with your present unit originally; it means that hard drive does not have the chipset and mainboard drivers installed on it for your present mainboard. In fact, it has a set of incorrect drivers from the original mainboard that probably are not working. That is at least a large part of the problem, there may be others. Go to the manufacturer's website (if you are running a retail unit) find your model computer and download that motherboard chipset and other drivers, and install them on your current computer. If you have a homebuild computer then go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and do the same.  If you can, uninstall the existing mainboard drivers first, but if you can't find them try anyway. Hopefully, Windows will find the correct drivers and start using them.

If you added RAM, make sure that it is DDR2. I am not sure if DDR3 will even fit your slots or not, but check it out.

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 January 2015 - 11:25 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users