Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Port(s) not working

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 0ne

0ne

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

I had my USB mouse and my flash drive connected to 2x 3.0 USB ports, everything was fine until suddenly both of them stopped working. When I try connecting the flash drive nothing happens, however, when I try connecting the USB mouse it says Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) in the device manager, windows error message "USB Device not recognized" also pops up in the bottom right corner. When I try connecting either of them (the mouse or the flash drive) to the 3rd USB port (a usb 2.0 port) they both work perfectly fine without any errors at all.

I am running Windows 8.1. Any help would be really appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

Hi, I had an issue like that with my wifes Windows laptop and an external hard drive that Windows 8 just refused to "see". I Google'd the problem and found a solution. I don't have the link, but the process was to open your Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Device Manager. There you would un-install the Universal Serial Bus controllers. Once you have done that then in the top of the box goto Actions>Scan for hardware changes. Windows should find them and reinstall the USB controllers.

As I said, this worked for an external 2 TB hard drive, on a Windows laptop running 8.1.( I use WIndows 7) .............................

#3 0ne

0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi, I had an issue like that with my wifes Windows laptop and an external hard drive that Windows 8 just refused to "see". I Google'd the problem and found a solution. I don't have the link, but the process was to open your Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Device Manager. There you would un-install the Universal Serial Bus controllers. Once you have done that then in the top of the box goto Actions>Scan for hardware changes. Windows should find them and reinstall the USB controllers.

As I said, this worked for an external 2 TB hard drive, on a Windows laptop running 8.1.( I use WIndows 7) .............................

There are about 9 items, should I uninstall all of them?

#4 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

If I remember correctly its the USB Mass Storage Device that you Uninstall.

#5 0ne

0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:30 AM

If I remember correctly its the USB Mass Storage Device that you Uninstall.

I haven't got any USB Mass Storage Device in the list, do you mean USB Composite Device?

#6 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:52 AM

If no one else answers you, I will look at her PC and confirm that.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

Uninstall only the items with "controller" in the description...then reboot (they reinstall automatically upon reboot).

Louis

#8 0ne

0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

Uninstall only the items with "controller" in the description...then reboot (they reinstall automatically upon reboot).

Louis

Tried it twice and it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

#9 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

I could not replicate the fast spinning fans in my Optiplex 780 by making a change in the bios. When I was setting up the computer, there were error codes displayed on the front of the machine, I looked them up to try and figure out what they meant, found them and corrected the issue. If you have not fixed your issue, try looking up error codes for Dell model you have, mine had numbers displayed on the front panel, others may have just "beeps" to report errors.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.......

#10 0ne

0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

I could not replicate the fast spinning fans in my Optiplex 780 by making a change in the bios. When I was setting up the computer, there were error codes displayed on the front of the machine, I looked them up to try and figure out what they meant, found them and corrected the issue. If you have not fixed your issue, try looking up error codes for Dell model you have, mine had numbers displayed on the front panel, others may have just "beeps" to report errors.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.......

I tried doing that before and couldn't find any solution.

Also, sorry for the (very) late reply.

#11 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

Have you tried shutting down your computer then powering it back on? NOT rebooting but shutdown.

The only way to reset a usb port built into a motherboard is to remove power from it which rebooting won't do. Try the simple stuff first before you go un-installing things.

#12 0ne

0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

Have you tried shutting down your computer then powering it back on? NOT rebooting but shutdown.

The only way to reset a usb port built into a motherboard is to remove power from it which rebooting won't do. Try the simple stuff first before you go un-installing things.

If by that you mean a normal shutdown, then yes, I have. In fact, I do that nearly everyday and it still hasn't fixed it.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

What is the make and model of the computer? Do you notice any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

#14 0ne

0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

What is the make and model of the computer? Do you notice any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

Lenovo Ideapad y510p. And no, there aren't any yellow exclamation marks in the Device Manager.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:24 AM

I was hoping intel had the USB 3.0 driver for your chipset but it seems Windows 8.1 has it's own native USB 3.0 drivers and it is not recommended to install the intel drivers. It seems likely either the USB 3.0 controller failed or the native USB3.0 driver is corrupted. You could do a refresh but any programs would need to be reinstalled.

http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users