Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bad psu ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

good afternoon to all,

just few days ago a closed friend of mine bought a new pc with an amd athlon x4 860k-3.7 ghz

motherboard is the gigabyte ga-f288x-dh3 with a kinston 120 gb ssd drive and 4 gb of corsair ddr3 ram with integrated garphics 

mid tower is the raijintek arcadiia

with my little experience all the above parts are branded and quite good but....

the psu is just a force 500 watts (no name psu ?)

dr-8500 btx (max. 500 watts)

+3.3 volts output 22a

+5.5 volts output 16a

+12v1 output is 15a

+12.2v2 output s 16a

-12v 0    output is 0.8a

+5vsb     output is 2.5a

+5v & +3.3v combines 130w

+5v & +3.3v & +12v combines 480w

quite strange for a pc like this..to have such as cheap psu !

i have told to my friend that his psu is not good and after a conversation who had with the seller he explain him that the psu is more than enough for his pc !!!

he also mentioned that this no name psu is very reliable since all the electronic parts meet those european and international standards and he do not have to worry

the psu have two years warranty

the seller also mentioned that those cheap psu  are not so bad as many people believe and he pointed out that if there some reviews about them then people will go out and buy them...

this force psu can work within "it's limits" and for as good as 100,000 hours

-end of the conversation...

my friend is waiting for your advice please

many thanks in advance

Edited by nickko, 06 January 2015 - 12:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

In my experience of asking questions about power supplies and listening to suggestions from others, it seems that the more" clean" power you have in the power supply, the better. I have a Dell Vostro 230 (slim tower) with a 250 watt power supply. I am running an Intel 9650Q CPU/8GB of ram, a GeForce 730 video card, 1TB Seagate hard drive, and a usb 3.0 add on card.

The video card specs say I should be using a 300 watt power supply as a minimum. Here I am browsing the net, watching movies, and I have no issues. Each device is going to consume so much power. I would think his 500 watt would do the trick, unless his video card is some dual/sli,double wide, twin fan, radiator, video card that needs a wack of power just for the card.

I know there are more powerful power supplies out there, maybe better quality than some, but unless his machine won't power up and run, in my opinion he should be OK!!

#3 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

Is there not even a model number on the power supply? Seems like there should be even if there isn't a company logo on it.

#4 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:42 AM

hi to all, 

thanks for your replies

force dr-8500 btx (max. 500 watts) this is the exact band.model

Edited by nickko, 07 January 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

That wouldn't be something I would buy, use or recommend to anyone else, but the difficulty in getting something like that in a pre-built PC is unless you can prove it is substandard (it's not sufficient to power the PC or it's turning off under load, for example, or it fails outright) I don't think you have much come back with the seller.

Unless it was described as having a specific branded PSU in the description, and it was supplied with a cheap one instead, what can you do?

It seems typical of a cheap PSU in having low 12v output capabilities for it's claimed wattage.  Good modern 500w PSU's should ideally be able to output around 40A (combined) on the 12v rails as that is where the power draw is on a modern PC.  I think bronze 80+ efficiency (genuine certified, not a fake certification) is a minimum to aim for these days too.

Edited by jonuk76, 07 January 2015 - 11:17 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

i thank you very much for your detailed post

i think it doesn't really matter if this psu is chap but certainly does matter that this psu is not very powerful enough 

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users