Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best for dual boot and linux certs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tobelost

tobelost

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:57 AM

I am going to school for my associates degree in networking and cyber security(yes a dual major), also working on becoming Windows, linux, and Apple Certified. I was given a desktop with a dual core processor, and 250gb hd, basically has the same specs more or less as my 2010 macbook, as a christmas present. I will be putting windows on the desktop as well. I am debating between Red Hat and Ubuntu. In your opinions, which distro would be best to use towards becoming linux certified? 

Please ignore my grammar and spelling mistakes. 

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

the answer depends on what setting you are going to use your certs for. if you want to focus on the enterprise section (business) as much as I don't like red hat the answer to your question is red hat. back in the 90s  the powers that be decided that the standard was going to be red hat. However, the community thought debian. if you want to focus more on the private sector than I would say debian. ubuntu is the child of debian. to tell you the truth it doesn't really matter however they have a certificate for a Red Hat Certified Engineer (http://www.redhat.com/en/services/certification/rhce) not a Debian/Ubuntu Certified engineer. WOW. A quick research reveals a Ubuntu Certified Engineer cert is or was in the works (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EngineerCertification).

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:17 AM

tobelost,  :welcome: to BC Forums!

Glad you have joined, and you can get some practice towards becoming certified by participating in our Linux community.  :)

As far as a distro to become a Linux IT Pro, CentOS (free) is RedHat's developmental OS, and includes lots of excellent software that doesn't make the final cut for RedHat, but it's as close of a free RedHat clone as you're going to get. That's where the money train flows in Linux, much through RedHat, though Canonical also has professional versions of Ubuntu. 

However, the big bucks are with RedHat, where the sky is the limit, which is why I suggested CentOS. Many also goes with Ubuntu, however RedHat has grown over the last few years, and there will always be employment for RedHat certified IT Pros. If I were going to consider a career in Linux, RedHat it would be. 

Look forward to your participation here, you can gain some needed skills.  :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 08 January 2015 - 03:18 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users