Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Not booting after downgrade to i3 processor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fconolly

fconolly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

I've cannibalised some components off an old system to put into a new one.  The old system is built on a Intel DQ67SW Motherboard and I've pulled out the CPU and memory. An Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600 3.40GHz, Quad Core with 8MB Cache and two 4GB 64-bit (512Mb) 1333MHz DDR3 PC3-10600 DIMMs.

To keep the old system running I replaced the CPU with a Intel Core i3 3220 3.30GHz Socket 1155 3MB Cache and I've also tried a few different DIMMs

The thing is the darn thing won't boot now.  It powers up and all the fans start turning but I don't get anything else.  There aren't even any POST tones :(

Any advice appreciated... hope I haven't broken it :(

Edited by fconolly, 06 January 2015 - 11:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

Did you clear the CMOS after you put in the different CPU?  Have you tried pulling out the memory and seeing if you can get a POST BEEP? (should get the beeps about no memory)

Sounds like the CPU could be the problem if it still wont boot after clearing CMOS.  I would check the pins.  And make sure its seated correctly.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

As the i3 is from a newer generation (Ivy Bridge) and is not listed as compatible with the board, I would assume it's not supported.  Compatibility list.  Your best hope might be to install the latest BIOS and try it.  Newer BIOS's sometimes add support for new processors.  Intel's website doesn't as far as I can see list what features are added in the newer BIOS's but it might be worth a shot.  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=&ProductID=3295&ProdId=3295

Be aware BIOS flashing always carries some risk of bricking the motherboard, but I've been pretty lucky so far and never had it happen, but it can happen.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 fconolly

fconolly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

Yup.. incompatible CPU.  Thanks jonuk76.  Resolved the problem by fitting an older i5 CPU  :clapping:

Edited by fconolly, 07 January 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for letting us know :)  Most other manufacturers P67 boards could be updated to take Ivy Bridge processors, it is a bit surprising Intel didn't do the same.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users