Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sides of screen gone!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

So, I was playing an old game (CnC Generals) and when I quit the game, the sides of my monitor are now just black and unused (about 3-*4 inches on either side).  I've restarted the computer, unplugged the monitor (which is plugged in HDMI), uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers for the graphics card and am now at a loss of what to do and am wondering if my graphics card hasn't died.  Everything was fine before hand-nothing changed or added in over a year.  Any ideas on what to try next?

Windows 8.1 64bit

32Gb ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX550Ti graphics card

27" Hyundai monitor

600w PSU

Thanks in advance for any help!

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

Does doing a reset on the Monitor using it's menu bring it back? Has the resolution changed in the Nvidia Control Panel?

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

I'll try the reset when I get home, but the resolution is the same in the Nvidia control panel (1920x1080).

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

You were in the right area JohnC - the monitor was set to a scale of 4:3 instead of 16:9!  Fixed it....with a little embarrassment for not finding it myself!!!

Thanks for your help!

Posted Image

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users