Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving like a snail after a fresh install

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:34 AM

Hello BC,

I recently replaced my HDD, and installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my Hp Pavilion A6248X Tower, and the speed is slow, and stressful. While I am online, Firefox will not respond, and if I am just opening documents, the system will freeze. It takes longer than a minute for the start menu to open, but the system boots pretty fast. I installed a brand new HDD and the x64 version of Home Premium. The only programs that I have installed are Zone Alarm, Avast, MBAM, CCleaner, and MS Ofiice. I have downloaded, and installed all the updates. I believe that there were about 200 of them, and I have also updated Flash player. I have disabled all of the start up programs, and updated the graphics drivers. I decided to disable the start up applications with a clean boot setting while I was in the process of trying to figure out what the culprit was. Can someone please help me with ideas on pinpointing this problem? Do you think that if I just start over with a fresh install of a x86 version I might get better relults? I only have two gigs of RAM installed on this machine, but I have run x64 versions of Windows on 2 gigs without any problems. It would be slightly time consuming, but if anyone thinks that might do the trick, I can give it a try. Any help is much appreciated, and I am looking forward to a reply. Thank you for your time.

Here is a link from HP. The system is not functioning properly for a long enough time to post a Speccy report, otherwise I would do that.

Thank you again.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01172671&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:20 AM

Did you install the mainboard, chipset and sound drivers for your mainboard? If not, that is probably your issue.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

Did you install the mainboard, chipset and sound drivers for your mainboard? If not, that is probably your issue.

Was about to post the same plus the following...

>>>I recently replaced my HDD, and installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my Hp Pavilion A6248X Tower and the speed is slow... I installed a brand new HDD and the x64 version of Home Premium.<<<

According to the system specs at your link the tower came with Vista 32 bit. How did you install 7 x64? With a retail disk? Clean install? Upgrade?

Spoiler

>>>The only programs that I have installed are Zone Alarm...<<<

Not a fan of ZA, never tried it actually but have read COUNTLESS reports of incomapiblity, problems etc with ZA being the culprit. Win 7's built in firewall + Avast Free is good enough for me...  YMMV :)

>>>...and updated the graphics drivers.<<<

From where? What driver/ version? According to HP drivers support page for your tower there are no drivers available for Win 7 32 or 64 bit. Have you installed ANY chipset, audio, etc drivers? You might be able to use Vista drivers available at the support page.

>>>Do you think that if I just start over with a fresh install of a x86 version I might get better relults? I only have two gigs of RAM installed on this machine...<<<

I think yes but I'm certainly no expert. Personally I would install more RAM... it's pretty cheap these days & according to your specs your tower supprts up to 2 x 4gb=8gb in x64 & 1 x 4gb=4gb. 2 gigs is bare minimum for running 7 x64 IMHO but it also depends on what you install. If you install memory intensive progs (ZA?) CPU power/Cores... etc.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 06 January 2015 - 08:49 AM.

#4 bill343

bill343

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

I am curious about this. I have a tower that was running recently until a few days ago. Then I started getting  a lot of (not responding) hangs, all over. I ran a chkdsk /f /r. I ran a anti virus scan, anti malware scan. Removed a few things.  Thought that might fix things. But no, same problems came back soon after. I checked the event logs and found one or two messages about some paging isues possibly related to bad hardware. I assumed it was the hard drive failing. Put in a new hard drive last night, imaged it, hooked the old drive up to an external to grab the data and it periodically dropped off which I thought proved it was going bad. But now this newly installed Win 7 X64 system is generating the same (not responding) hang ups. This is an I5 with 12gigs of ram. Maybe the Motherboard is bad? This is a horrible way to have to hunt down a problem. 

EDIT: 

Just found a bunch of errors:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR15 during a paging operation.

Looks like mobo

Edited by bill343, 06 January 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

A ? will a 2 core AMD run a 64 bit OS?  I know Intel will.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:54 PM

A ? will a 2 core AMD run a 64 bit OS?  I know Intel will.

The A4? I don't understand the question. I have a x64 OS running on an A6, that I have in a laptop. Hopefully someone else will see this, and can give you clearer advice.

The tower had Vista X86 installed when I purchased it years ago. It wasn't until earlier that I just installed a new drive, and installed the Windows 7 Home Premium disk that I payed for. Thank you for the link to the Vista drivers. I will take a closer look when I get home later on this evening. I ran all the Windows Updates, and I manually searched for certain driver updates, but those were the only updates that were installed. Right after I installed the Windows Updates, I went to the HP website, and I noticed the only update that HP was offering was a Light Scribe driver, and that isn't very useful at the moment.

Something strange was happening earlier. I have a Belkin USB network adapter, plugged into the tower. It has been working properly since the beginning of the install, but now it doesn't want to be recognized by the HP. It doesn't matter what port it is inserted in to, the adapter is not being picked up. I even went to Belkin, and made sure that I had all the latest drivers, just in case, but nothing at all. If I take that same adapter, and plug it in a different PC, it works with no problems. Strange.

Thank you everyone

Edit: When I said that the Belkin is not being picked up, I meant that I cannot find it anywhere, and it is not being recognized by the system. However, the green light on the device will start flashing when it is plugged in to the HP.

Edited by beachfeet, 06 January 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

Again, did you or did you not install all of the motherboard and chipset drivers? Windows updates is only for Windows OS, it has nothing to do with your motherboard manufacturer's motherboard drivers for the integrated video, northbridge, southbridge, integrated sound, etc. If you did not build this unit but purchased it retail, you will not have the motherboard/chipset drivers on a separate CD. They will only be provided on a restore CD or restore partition on your hard drive. Since you wiped your hard drive and installed Windows 7 you will not have the motherboard drivers that you need. If you installed fresh from a retail CD of Windows 7 you will have to go to the computer manufacturer's website, find your computer, and (hopefully) they have provided downloads for all the drivers you require.

Bill343: I respectfully suggest that you start a separate thread for your question; asking multiple problem questions in a single thread leads to confusion. It is possible to diagnose if your mobo is the problem, but it is far too involved to detail it in this thread. Just because you are getting error messages does not mean that the problem is your mainboard.

OldPhil: If any CPU is not the correct bit for the OS, it will error-message immediately and will not install. So....if the OP installed the OS, he has the correct bit for his CPU and the OS, regardless of either AMD or Intel.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

ranchhand_: No, I did not. The only driver that HP had available was a Light Scribe driver.  I was able to download, and install Nvidia drivers, audio drivers, USB, and modem updates by searching with Windows Updates, but I see what you are saying. Do you happen to know of some other ways of obtaining the drivers that you listed?

Union_Thug: I was not able to download the listed Vista drivers. I was told that my system was not compatible by the HP download manager.

I was able to get the Belkin Network Adapter working properly. That is no longer a problem.

Thank you everyone.

Edited by beachfeet, 07 January 2015 - 08:28 PM.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:49 PM

Yes; the mainboard you have is most likely an ECS (Elitegroup) made in Taiwan. ECS is the same as Foxconn, they are a mass-production jobber that create low-quality, low-cost mainboards for large computer manufacturers such as Dell and HP among others. Not surprisingly, HP appears not to have the drivers posted on their website, so it will necessitate a direct phone call to their help desk. Most likely they will want to charge you, but explain that you do not want tech help, just information on how to find the mainboard drivers for the HP a6248x computer (which they should have posted). Hopefully, you will contact someone who actually knows his job and he will help you. I have been down this road many times with HP and others, so hope for the best. But I guarantee that your unit will never run properly without those drivers.

#10 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

Thank you for the reply ranchhand_. I have to look into another way of getting these drivers. After being on hold, I was hung up on after being told that my product is not under warranty. After a call back, I was told that all drivers can be found on the HP website, and the representative refused to believe otherwise.  This is my first time dealing with HP customer support, and hopefully my last.

#11 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:50 AM

Hello again,

You were right on the money about the motherboard manufacturer being ECS. I am hoping to find the drivers through the information that was given. I experienced some difficulty navigating through the ECS website (http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads/Downloads_list.aspx?Menuid=189&LanID=9) but I am hoping to find the proper drivers. Here is some information that I was able to find on the motherboard.

Attached Files

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience, but I am not surprised. HP claims that they are soon to have a "Support Day" when their "experts" will answer all questions. Here is a link.

Support Day: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-News/Questions-about-your-new-HP-Products-HP-Expert-Day-January/td-p/4731932

I did not know this was a Vista machine originally. Another possible problem is that the only drivers you may find will be for Vista only;  so you will need upgraded drivers for Windows 7, and if HP did not provide them it could be a problem. Sometimes I have gotten lucky and the Vista drivers for a board will also work on Windows 7, so it's worth a chance.

Here is a site that claims to have the Vista drivers; I really do not like using 3rd party source sites, but sometimes you have no other option. I have no experience with this website so I am not promoting it.

http://www.driversdownloader.com/hp-drivers/hp-pavilion-a6248x-desktop-pc

I will tell you in advance that ECS will be a dead end. These offshore mass-production companies could not care less about the end customer. Sorry I could not be more help, but like I said, these large retailers blow a lot of smoke about caring for their customers and quality of their products, but rarely stand behind them. That's why I build my own.

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

I did not know this was a Vista machine originally. Another possible problem is that the only drivers you may find will be for Vista only;  so you will need upgraded drivers for Windows 7, and if HP did not provide them it could be a problem. Sometimes I have gotten lucky and the Vista drivers for a board will also work on Windows 7, so it's worth a chance.

No offense, but I already posted the same...

Was about to post the same plus the following...

>>>I recently replaced my HDD, and installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my Hp Pavilion A6248X Tower and the speed is slow... I installed a brand new HDD and the x64 version of Home Premium.<<<

According to the system specs at your link the tower came with Vista 32 bit. How did you install 7 x64? With a retail disk? Clean install? Upgrade?

Spoiler

>>>...and updated the graphics drivers.<<<

From where? What driver/ version? According to HP drivers support page for your tower there are no drivers available for Win 7 32 or 64 bit. Have you installed ANY chipset, audio, etc drivers? You might be able to use Vista drivers available at the support page.

>>>Union_Thug: I was not able to download the listed Vista drivers. I was told that my system was not compatible by the HP download manager.<<<

?? What download manager?? Did you use the "scan system" (or words to that effect) drek @ HP site? I was able to download & extract 3 out of the 3 Vista drivers I attempted by clicking the direct links... and I'm on a Dell which is more than "not compatible"

HTH :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 08 January 2015 - 10:31 AM.

#14 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, I ran an HP program to detect my system, then I proceeded from there. I will try the direct links, and report back with the results.

#15 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

Installing the drivers for Vista X64 failed. After every attempt to install the drivers, including the BIOS update, a message would appear saying that my system does not meet the minimum requirements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users