Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my external hard drive infected with???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dk1001

Dk1001

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:08 AM

i am afraid my external hard drive is infected with something. IT was previously used on a computer which frequently had viruses, key loggers, and other malware so much so that I switched to using macs. However I am afraid that the hard drive still might have some nasty bugs on it. I now use a Mac but would like to be able to use the drive with a desktop as well but I am afraid that something might be on it. Is there anyway to check?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

Welcome to BC !

One pass is all that is needed using Free DBAN to overwrite the drive and eliminate any chance of malware survival.

How to Use DBAN

Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN automatically and completely deletes the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.

DBAN's website is http://www.dban.org/.

How to Use DBAN to Securely Erase a Hard Disk Drive
  1. Turn on computer and boot from the DBAN CD.
  2. The DBAN application opens. DBAN is a simple, text-only application.
    You will see a boot: prompt and a menu of options.
  3. Press the Enter key to start DBAN in interactive mode.
    DBAN continues to boot. This will take a few moments.
  4. You will see a screen listing OptionsStatistics, and Disks and Partitions.
  5. Leave the defaults for Options.
  6. From the Disks and Partitions list, select the hard drive you want deleted.
    Move the cursor up and down using the J and K keys,  and select the drive with the Spacebar.
  7. When the drive you want to erase is selected, press F10 to start the wipe.
    The time required to wipe your drive will depend on the size of the drive. DBAN offers an estimate on the Statistics pane.

EDIT: If you prefer, and likely a faster DBAN install, you can create a bootable flash drive.

Install DBAN to a USB Flash Drive using Windows | USB Pen Drive Linux

QUOTE: Run DBAN from a Flash Drive: In the following tutorial, we show you how we created a DBAN USB Flash Drive from Windows using our third party Universal USB Installer. Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) is a simple bootable data destruction tool created by Darik Horn. It can be used to securely wipe an entire hard drive or an attached external disk (IDE or SCSI), completely deleting all contents of the disk.  Upon completion, you should be able to run DBAN from your USB device.

Edited by buddy215, 06 January 2015 - 06:34 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Dk1001

Dk1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

Hi, thank you for your help but I would prefer not to delete the contents of the drive. Is there an alternative?

Edited by Dk1001, 06 January 2015 - 06:52 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:07 AM

You can try having the malware removed by posting a new topic in the malware removal forum.

Follow these instructions for doing that: Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Once you have posted your new topic DO NOT bump your topic....wait for a response. It could be several days.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users