Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 8.1 disappearing music files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcblues

pcblues

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:05 AM

Hello ,

I honestly thought that I got the "better" of win8.1.. it kinda grew on me.. until a few weeks ago  when after doing some maintenance in "safe mode" I was totally unable to get back to normal  startup. After a very frustrating hour or so.. I gave up and decided to go with the "refresh" option , that promises NOT to delete any files etc.

It took me back to win8.. lost all my progams.. was a pain and took another two days to get it back to what it was.. then I discovered some empty music folders.. all seem intact.. but no mp3 tracks.. only album art left.. was annoying but I moved on..

But , as i discovered today,  it's still happening.. some  new folders I checked today.. same thing , empty , they had full cd's inside in just a day or so ago,, all up about 200 GB of music gone.. but the C drive it's on.. shows the same  free space ! ?

If i delete 200 GB.. or even a fraction of that , it should increase the free space.. not happening..... if anything the free space is decreasing.. gone down about 30GB since this started..

I have posted about this when it first happened and got no meaningful explanation or response..

There's something weird going on.. and I would really love to find how to stop this happening !

Oh this is a 1 year old Lenovo E530 Thinkpad running windows  8.1  64 bit

Any help would be appreciated.. TIA :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

Do you see a Windows.old folder on the c: drive? Your personal files should be in there unless you performed a factory restore without data backup. Or chose not to save personal files during refresh.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:35 AM

Hello Sneakycyber ,

thanks for the response..  No , I can not find Windows.old folder..

I did not do factory restore, I choose the " Refresh your PC without affecting your files" that promises to  " You can refresh it without losing photos , music , videos and personal files" however it didnt say anything about deleting all programs..

All personal files, documents  still there.. only some  of the music went missing....and today I found more gone from newly created  folders..

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:45 AM

Often if windows not work properly is a driver problem or some applications have issues with the new system. It's normally refreshing your pc that at this process windows check whether software is compatible. After refresh there is normally a folder or file with all removed items on your desktop.

#5 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:07 AM

Thanks Dante... in this case there wasn't anything on desktop..

But  wow...  I found the missing music  !! As with all programs I had to reinstall Music Bee.. from a new copy , turns out it created it's own folder, with the missing files  scattered , broken up in several batches,.. weird  huh.. This must be a new feature that I will try to stop from happening again ...

I assumed it was Windows fault..  anyway.. I would  never use the "refresh" option again..  only as a last resort...Lesson learned...

#6 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

I'm not conform with the new MS strategy, every time comes up a new System there are many changes and beyond, new problems. Instead of make the system stable with fixes the problematic areas, comes with new features that most of us rarely not use or want.

#7 Volanz

Volanz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

/Like ^^ 

You guys need a like button.

-Volanz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users