Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does OS X upgrade for free?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TitusRaven26

TitusRaven26

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

i just got one and ive been using PCs up till now. with pcs, if you want to upgrade from xp to windows 8, or something similar, you have to buy the newer OS and then install... and ive heard that with OS X, the newer OS' are free to install.... so... does that mean that if i have Lion 2011, it will upgrade straight to Yosemite for free?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:20 AM

i just got one and ive been using PCs up till now. with pcs, if you want to upgrade from xp to windows 8, or something similar, you have to buy the newer OS and then install... and ive heard that with OS X, the newer OS' are free to install.... so... does that mean that if i have Lion 2011, it will upgrade straight to Yosemite for free?

Yes, the upgrades are free from 10.7 on up.

#3 TitusRaven26

TitusRaven26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:55 AM

Cool thanks!

#4 K.kent

K.kent

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

Yes, upgrading Mac to OS X 10.10 is free. Safari browser has come up with a totally new makeover. Enriched address bar, working within a single private window in Safari and so much is very easy. But if you are not an expert then please get a backup copy of entire Mac system with Time Machine. Third party application Stellar Drive Clone can be used to create a bootable clone of complete Mac drive.

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

OS Upgrades were free starting from Mavericks, and will remain free.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#6 Scottster1

Scottster1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:11 AM

It does seem as though Apple's new policy will be free upgrades.  Here's a press release from Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering.

“We want every Mac user to experience the latest features, the most advanced technologies, and the strongest security. We believe the best way to do this is to begin a new era of personal computing software where OS upgrades are free.”

https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/10/23OS-X-Mavericks-Available-Today-Free-from-the-Mac-App-Store.html

#7 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:26 PM

Just be careful that any programs you are running were not written with a specific OS in mind.

Started having a problem with my Quickbook for MAC 2013 not completing backups That problem seems to have been corrected although I am not 100% sure why.

In the process of looking into this I had some communications with someone from Intuit. Seems that the 2013 QB version was desingned for the OS current at that time.

They advised that the 2013 OB may/will have issues with newer OS.

Edited by Nawtheasta, 17 October 2015 - 09:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users