Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitors Burning Out

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 equinecpa

equinecpa

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

I have an Emachine running Windows 7 Pro. I have (or had) a geforce 210 video card installed so I could run dual monitors. Everything  ran well until about 3 weeks ago. The 2nd monitor would not come on after the computer went to sleep. I'd have to reboot the system or disable, then re-enable the graphic card for the monitor to come back on.  I tried driver updates but it didn't help. This went on for a couple of weeks but progressively got worse ie the monitor wouldn't come on even on reboot or I'd have to disable/re-enable the graphic card a couple of times before it would come on. Then the 2nd monitor quit-it wouldn't come on at all.

I changed the monitor out thinking it was the monitor. Things seemed OK for a day or so and then the same symptoms. I unplugged the power to the 2nd monitor as when it was on it was flickering-I did leave it plugged to the video card, which may have been a grave mistake.

I changed the video card today. I plugged in the power to the 2nd monitor-and it won't display at all.  I tried plugging it into another computer and now this 2nd monitor seems dead too-nothing happens when plugged in to another computer.  Do you think something on my mother board could be doing this? It definitely seemed hot when I swapped out the video cards.

So what would fry these monitors to the point of no display at all? I don't think my second video card had a chance to do the damage. Is it time to get a new computer? This one is 2010 or 2011 vintage and heavily used.

Anything I can do to further troubleshoot?

CArolyn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 equinecpa

equinecpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:37 PM

I'm not convinced the monitors are dead. I was just swapping cables around trying to further troubleshoot and the monitor that isn't working showed "no signal" across the screen which looked promising (something is better than nothing right?). But when plugged into my laptop to further troubleshoot-the power light went amber and nothing displays on the screen.

The primary screen on my computer (knocking on wood heavily here) has remained fine throughout all of this.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

I am not convinced the monitor is bad either.  What kind of cable is used to connect the monitor to the computer vga to vga?

Does the cable come out of both the monitor and the computer ... seperate cable?  Can you check the pins to make sure  none are lose... appear missing or bent... Some cables do indeed have missing pins but you can usually see where there was a pin and may not be one anylonger.

#4 equinecpa

equinecpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

VGA cable to VGA on card, or dvi to dvi-i've tried swapping cables and the dead monitors don't work with either cable. The working monitor works with either cable-so I think that eliminates the cable as the issue?

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:33 AM

Though you said when you power up the monitor with no cable at all.. you are able to get a msg. on screen that says .. No signal or something like that?  Do the monitors in question also come up with their video settings menu do they have a menu button for like brightness contrast etc.. or is it the older dials and no menu?

Did you also try plugging a monitor in question into the 1st monitor plug on the card?

Edited by YeahBleeping, 06 January 2015 - 12:35 AM.

#6 equinecpa

equinecpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:24 AM

Though you said when you power up the monitor with no cable at all.. you are able to get a msg. on screen that says .. No signal or something like that?  Do the monitors in question also come up with their video settings menu do they have a menu button for like brightness contrast etc.. or is it the older dials and no menu?

Did you also try plugging a monitor in question into the 1st monitor plug on the card?

The one monitor did that just once while cable swapping-most of the time it stays black with amber light on, though it will switch to green like it is getting a signal when hooked up to video card, but just for a moment, then it's back to amber. I can't get any other screen displays on these monitors when I press brightness buttons etc. 

I can easily replace a monitor but how do I determine if the problem still exists on my computer? Video card is changed out but if it's a power issue I don't want to plug in another monitor just to have it fry it. Computer as stated is about 4 years old and not top quality so not worth taking in to get fixed.  

Monitors that are "dead" act like they are asleep-no response when plugged into my laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users