Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diskette drive 0 Seek Failure in Vista Premium 64 bit OS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Riv

Riv

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:13 PM

After replacing a bad power supply in a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop PC running Vista premium 64 bit OS, when it boots up, I get a screen that says "Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure" Press F1 to continue or F2 for setup. When I press F1 it boots up. It didn't do this until after the power supply was replaced. How can I get it to boot up without having to press F1?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

If you press F2 for setup you will enter the motherboard BIOS.  What your saying tho suggests that either the Motherboard CMOS battery is possibly dead.  Or the CMOS was cleared during something a tech had you do. 

You are looking for something having to do with boot sequence.  If Floppy Drive A is the first option disable it.

Its difficult to give you full instructions without knowing what your BIOS screens look l ike

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

It's not unusual for a CMOS memory reset to spontaneously occur when a system is worked on, possibly provoked by an unnoticed static discharge.

In most BIOS you find one or more of 3 common options. In the screen which shows detected drives, along with SATA and IDE channels you may see a FDD drive type (eg 3.5" 1.44MB) which can be changed to an option such as Not Present or Disabled. Sometimes in a section like Onboard Peripherals there is an option to disable the onboard FDD controller. Also somewhere you might find an option such as Enable FDD Seek at Boot. If this exists and is set, in some BIOS the seek will still occur to test the drive, even if the FDD status is currently set as Not Present in the equipment list, so disable it.

Edited by Platypus, 05 January 2015 - 09:22 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:28 PM

It's not unusual for a CMOS memory reset to spontaneously occur when a system is worked on, possibly provoked by an unnoticed static discharge.

In most BIOS you find one or more of 3 common options. In the screen which shows detected drives, along with SATA and IDE channels you may see a FDD drive type (eg 3.5" 1.44MB) which can be changed to an option such as Not Present or Disabled. Sometimes in a section like Onboard Peripherals there is an option to disable the onboard FDD controller. Also somewhere you might find an option such as Enable FDD Seek at Boot. If this exists and is set, in some BIOS the seek will still occur to test the drive, even if the FDD status is currently set as Not Present in the equipment list, so disable it.

You are right.

It could also mean that the system is expecting to scan for the floppy drive and maybe it cant because the cable is lose on either the motherboard or the floppy drive.

Should we ask.. do you have a floppy drive on this system?

The error your getting suggests though that the system is looking too try and boot off the floppy.  In most cases we don't want that we want it to try the cdrom first and then the hard drive.  In most cases your not going to boot off of the floppy.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 05 January 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

Yep, the usual suspect is the FDD getting enabled on a system that doesn't actually have one.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Riv

Riv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

Thanks YeahBleeping and Platypus. Your correct there is no floppy drive in the system. This is a friends computer. Next time I'm over there I'll go into the BIOS and disable the floppy drive and check the boot sequence. I guess wherever they brought it to have the power supply replaced may have caused a static discharge which could have caused the problem as you stated. If setting the BIOS doesn't work I'll change the CMOS battery which may be going dead as you said.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users