Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 vertigoboy1981

vertigoboy1981

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

Hello.  First I want to admit that I am a dumb ass.  But here goes:

My external hard drive has seemed to be acting crazy the last couple days.  When I open it, my folders slowly begin to show up (or not at all).  If a folder DOES show up, when I open it, nothing is there anymore.  I checked properties and it still shows that my files should be there somewhere...but who knows where?!  I have tried it both on my Dell PC and my MacBook Pro without any success.

I went to do a CHKDSK on it but it tells me this cannot be performed.

Basically, I have everything on here and have not yet backed up onto my other external.  For the most part...I don't want to lose photos that I have amassed over the years.  The 1,000+ iTunes albums are a punch to the stomach, but the loss of my photos would be heartbreaking.

Is there any way I can run a scan or at least locate these files without having to take it to a complete stranger that will charge me up the wazoo?  A friend of mine said it could be something with the mapping and it's just not able to locate what goes where.

The external is a FreeAgent External, 500 GB from Seagate.  Model Number: st305004fda1e1-rk |

Please help!

Mike  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:04 PM

Hello Mike ... can I call you Mike instead of D&(A$$  LOL... sorry I couldn't stop myself.

This sounds less of a problem with the drive and more of some issue with your operating system.  Did you install or download and run any programs recently that you don't normally do?

This may sound silly but did you completely power down both the computer and the drive to see if there simply wasnt a glitch?

Any windows update run recently or is there an ! point over the image of the power button on the windows start menu?

Hopefully its nothing but a glitch of some kind.

#3 vertigoboy1981

vertigoboy1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

You can call me whatever you like at this point.  To be honest, the desktop I have been using it with hasn't been able to connect to the Internet in many, many months.  I rarely use it.  There WAS a blue screen error before I noticed the problem, but didn't think anything of it and restarted the computer.  Dumb.  

I plugged it into my MacBook Pro and have the same problems.  I did notice that the longer I wait, the more folders show up.  However, I can't seem to open these folders.  

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

Since I am not really familiar with Mac's I can't really help you with that.  But it should be a good indicator as that maybe it IS the drive and not the software.

BUT it appears this drive uses interface software to connect to the drive.  Have you updated this recently .. and you didn't really say if you had gotten any windows updates or installed anything recently on your windows pc.

#5 vertigoboy1981

vertigoboy1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

Well right now, it's back to being hooked up to the Dell.  I'm doing a search to see if it can locate files, and it's taking a long time.  I haven't updated any software, no.  I rarely use this computer, as it doesn't connect to the Internet wirelessly anymore.  When I go to open a folder it is saying "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Edited by vertigoboy1981, 05 January 2015 - 08:33 PM.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

Okay, On the Seagate website you linked there are other links to troubleshooting and Hard drive diagnostics. 

Each one has their own set of tools.  Simply running diagnostics should not harm any files currently on your drive.

I am curious to know if the files DO eventually show up while your running your search tho and if it just takes a long time.

Once you've determined which diagnostic drivers are available to you.  Post back to let us know what your diagnostic options are.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

Have you tried replacing the USB cable? If that does not work, it's possible the drive is failing or the USB bridge card is going bad. You can take the drive out and attach it to another computer using an external enclosure or a USB adapter.

I was going to suggest that a live linux distro like Puppy could possibly mount the drive but you tried it on a MAC and it still did not work.

Is this the free agent drive you have. There are a couple of versions. Here is the other.

#8 vertigoboy1981

vertigoboy1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

Well, I think there's no hope now.  Both the PC and Macbook are not recognizing that the external hard drive exists.  Devastating.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,904 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

I think your only option now is to remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it via an enclosure or USB adapter like this one.  Did you try a different cable?

Edit: A professional data recovery service can give you a free quote but it is expensive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 January 2015 - 09:29 PM.

#10 vertigoboy1981

vertigoboy1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

Unfortunately I don't have another adaptor.  Do all recovery services require sending the hardware out, or do they guide you over the phone?  At this point, I would not think twice about spending a few hundred to save the memories that are attached to all of those photos.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,904 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

These services usually cost a minimum of $1000. I have not used these services but the cheapest for data recovery was this one. It costs $300. The larger companies use a dedicated clean room for drive disassembly. The cheaper service uses a portable clean chamber for drive disassembly.

You may want to try a new drive cable if you have not done so. Next would be to buy an adapter and remove the drive from the enclosure hoping the problem is the USB bridge card.

If you want, there is nothing to lose by trying Puppy linux and see if the drive mounts. Do you want to try Puppy?

#12 vertigoboy1981

vertigoboy1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:48 PM

That is all foreign to me.  I'm not sure what that is...and I'm afraid to take anything apart myself.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,904 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

If you are afraid of taking it apart then do not do it as you can make things worse.  I am assuming you are using a Windows 7 computer.

You can download Puppy linux which runs in RAM and off the disk. You burn the iso file in Windows 7 by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Image File. Boot the Puppy Disk and when you get to the Puppy desktop attach your USB drive. If Puppy detects it, a USB drive icon will appear next you the optical drive icon. Click it once. If Puppy can mount it, a File Manager window will open.

In the lower left of the desktop will be your hard drive probably labeled sda1. Click once on it and another file manager window will open. Highlight the files/folders in the USB file manager window using left click + Ctrl key or left click and drag a Window around the files folders. Drag the highlighted files/folders from the USB file Manager window to the Hard drive File Manager Window. A small dialog window will appear. Select Copy (not move) and check the quiet box.

Like I said before, try a new cable. It may be something as small as that.

The link I provided for the professional data recovery service has a toll free number.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 January 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#14 vertigoboy1981

vertigoboy1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:12 PM

Maybe I will try that.  I am using windows XP.  I would have to download on my Macbook since I can't connect to the Internet on my old PC anymore.  Would Puppy detect it even if the drive isn't showing up anymore?

The $300 recovery service is conveniently down the street from me about 5 minutes away....!!  How private are your files when they clean those though?  It would be a bit embarrassing...if you know what I mean...

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,904 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:27 PM

I don't think you have to worry about privacy unless it's blatantly illegal. I would talk with them and express your concerns. See what they say and go from there.

If you are on XP you can burn the iso file using isoburner. I don't know if Puppy will detect it but there are times when Windows will not see the drive but linux will. It may not work as the MAC does not see it either. The most you would lose would be a  CD disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 January 2015 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users