Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd Hard Drive no longer showing Windows (shows in BIOS)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 uncleslinky

uncleslinky

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:19 PM

Hi guys,

My desktop was full of dust so I carefully cleaned some of the inside, since then I have booted my computer and the 2nd hard drive is no longer visible or accessible.

Everything is plugged in correctly and the drive IS showing in BIOS however not in windows explorer (windows 7) and also not in Disk Management.

The 2nd drive is a Samsung Spinpoint F3 (HD502HJ).

Originally when the drive was working, the BIOS was set to IDE however I have just read that this should probably be set to AHCI when using 2 hard drives..?

In attempt to fix my issue, I have switched to AHCI using the instructions found at the microsoft website..

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
  2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
  4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
  5. In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
  7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

This seems to have swtiched to AHCI however he problem still remains, I am unable to see the 2nd hard drive although it is visible in the BIOS. I have tried refreshing the hardware list in Device Manager and also in Disk Management but still the drive is not displayed.

The screenshot shows my computers specs and that the 2nd drive is not visible in Disk Management.

http://prntscr.com/5oz6he

Any ideas? I have tried switching back to IDE and still no luck

Also my computer is now taking much longer to boot - instead of 20 seconds or so, it's taking more like 4-5 minutes and stays on the "windows" logo for a much of that time - this is whether I am using IDE or AHCI.

Thanks, any help would be great.... I'm half decent with computers but I don't really understand much of the techy terms I've written above so if I get any replies, basic terms and instructions might be best :D

Thanks again

Rich

Edited by uncleslinky, 05 January 2015 - 06:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

What I would try is to Load the Bios defaults,-then check drive management to see if drive is present. If not, do you have another computer to try that drive/or a friend that has a external usb connector like the KingWin EZ-connect to connect your hard drive to and check it using that device on a USB port. Is the drive spinning up? While its not fun to do, re-install windows?

Do you vacuum or use compressed air to remove the dust?

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2015 - 04:21 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#3 uncleslinky

uncleslinky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:19 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply

I now have some strange happenings... I have restored the defaults in BIOS and rebooted... after rebooting the 1st time the drive was still not visible however I rebooted again the drive is DID show as usual in windows explorer, however it was not very accessible. I could see folders and browse however documents would not open and I couldnt copy things to or from the drive.

I rebooted again and now the drive has disappeared - it seems very temperamental??

Before when the drive was showing in BIOS it displayed the true capacity of 500gb... however when I see the drive now in BIOS, it is reduced to 137.4gb

As I have restored BIOS defaults, it is set to IDE... could this be an issue, should it be set to AHCI?

Thanks again

Rich

Edited by uncleslinky, 06 January 2015 - 03:45 AM.

#4 uncleslinky

uncleslinky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:15 AM

Hey again

An update... I tried one last time to set AHCI in BIOS and this time it seemed to work... the 2nd hard drive is now visible in windows explorer and also accessible... however something else strange has happened now, one of the folders which I use most often is not showing?? Other new files (from yesterday) are visible however this one folder that I use is not? Also, the used capacity of the drive is still the same yesterday so its as if the files ARE there, but just not visible?

Using explorer I have stumbled across a few files which show as "D:\found.000\dir0001.chk\...." is there anyway to find the rest of these files or find why the folder isn't displaying?

Thanks

#5 uncleslinky

uncleslinky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:06 AM

FINAL UPDATE :D ..... I have managed to get back the data from the "found" folder so now everything appears to be working, what a kafuffle that was, still don't know why this even happened! Thanks for the help and suggestion of restoring BIOS settings to start with

#6 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

Glad to hear your system is back working for you.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users