Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Restore Your Ubuntu Linux System to its Previous State

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#31 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Nick! :thumbup2:

Am going to check this out during the day tomorrow. 

How did you get the clone to the USB? Mine does not see the USB when I try to use the clone function. It only gives me the option for clone to a second partition on my hard drive. 

Is your USB drive formatted as ext4? 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 11 January 2015 - 12:56 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:11 AM

Yes it is.

10h8zuw.jpg

15n82fo.png

#33 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:35 AM

Nick, that question was directed to mralias518, sorry for any mishap. 

I'd have expected you to had your device ext4 formatted. Newer Linux users may not know these things yet. 

I feel that TimeShift will be the ultimate Linux user's backup/rescue tool. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#34 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,691 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:41 AM

Also try this

Systemback is a simple backup and restore application for Ubuntu Linux that makes it easy to create backups of system and users configuration files. In case of problems you can easily restore the previous state of the system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550275/install-backup-tool-systemback-10-in-ubuntu-1404/

#35 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:57 AM

It is cloning as I type. I had formatted before in ext4 but for some reason it never did  see the usb drive. It sure is taking a long time to clone. I am beginning to wonder if the usb stick is large enough at 16GB. (Not GiB) Going on 35 mins now. I will let it go and see what happens. Thanks for the help NickAu and Cat1092. 

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#36 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:57 AM

Also try this

Systemback is a simple backup and restore application for Ubuntu Linux that makes it easy to create backups of system and users configuration files. In case of problems you can easily restore the previous state of the system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550275/install-backup-tool-systemback-10-in-ubuntu-1404/

After reading the article,TimeShift looks to be the better option! :thumbup2:

mralias518, much of the slowness may have to do with the speed of the USB port, as well as that of your device. Even on a good USB 3.0 port, some devices are much faster than others, and not all USB 3.0 devices are created equal. Some has write speeds of hardly any faster than a USB 2.0 one, have a couple of these myself, reads are fast, writes are painfully slow, like 15MB/sec. That would make for a long backup time. 

Unfortunately, USB speeds, all of them, I've never came close to the max speed of the standard, be it 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0, no matter what device I attached. Hard drives will usually be faster than Flash drives, though I also understand that many has to work with what's on hand. 

Hope that you backup turns out well.  :)

Cat

#37 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:06 AM

Also try this

After reading the article,TimeShift looks to be the better option! :thumbup2:

mralias518, much of the slowness may have to do with the speed of the USB port, as well as that of your device. Even on a good USB 3.0 port, some devices are much faster than others, and not all USB 3.0 devices are created equal. Some has write speeds of hardly any faster than a USB 2.0 one, have a couple of these myself, reads are fast, writes are painfully slow, like 15MB/sec. That would make for a long backup time. 

Unfortunately, USB speeds, all of them, I've never came close to the max speed of the standard, be it 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0, no matter what device I attached. Hard drives will usually be faster than Flash drives, though I also understand that many has to work with what's on hand. 

Hope that you backup turns out well.  :)

Cat

Worked great!!! Took about 40 mins but after writing about 10 GB to the usb I can see why. This has a lot of promise. Now I need to try the stick in 4 or 5 laptops I have laying around here to see if it works as well in them. Image, a world where I do one install, clone it and then clone it back to other laptops....I think I have died and gone to heaven.  :woot:

#38 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:28 AM

mralias518, glad that the backup turned out great for you! :thumbup2:

I'll be digging out the 80GiB 3.5" SATA 1 HDD that I mentioned earlier, formatting to ext4, that will allow me a lot of Linux Mint backups, as there's a few with Mint installed. Hopefully this will make having to clean install to fix things no longer needed. 

The only one that I'll clone is the main install though, at 40GiB, it'll likely need more room than the backups. 

Cat

#39 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,691 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

16GB. (Not GiB)

GiB not GB :ranting:

This has a lot of promise.

Yes.

#40 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

16GB. (Not GiB)

Yes.

Then it is 14.9012 GiB not 16 GB. Is that correct? Old habits are tough to break. :wacko:

#41 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

Then it is 14.9012 GiB not 16 GB. Is that correct? Old habits are tough to break. :wacko:

Correct. And they are, lol.

....I think I have died and gone to heaven.  :woot:

I call it The Wonderful Land of Linux - don't die on us yet, we want to hear more of your adventures.

:wizardball: Wiz

#42 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:33 AM

16GB. (Not GiB)

Yes.

I agree, they are tough to break, when posting to a Windows Topic, have to use MB, GB or TB (otherwise they'd not know what I'm speaking of), and in Linux ones always try to state the correct term. 

Though for all of these, that "i" is supposed to be in there, some Windows partitioning software even states the size as such, as well as some older Windows computing articles (& prior) written by IBM geeks that I run across from time to time. Back then, things were in MiB's at best, TiB may have been a theory, but at the time was dreamland only. As recent as 2004, many PC's were still shipping with 40GiB units, and in 2000 when I got my first one for work, one was somebody to have a notebook with a 20GiB HDD installed. 

My, how things has evolved since the turn of the century 15 years ago. Big Time! :guitar:

Cat

#43 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:47 AM

TimeShift has been successfully installed to it's 2nd Linux Mint 17.1 MATE install, took only a minute. 

I'm having a hard time understanding how some of us are installing TimeShift from the Terminal fine, but others aren't. 

mint 12 was my first mint.

bmike, are you still using the same /home partition carried over from all of that time? If so, that may be the issue, though I don't know which directory TimeShift installs in. 

Cat

#44 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:11 AM

The timeshift executable is housed in /usr/bin, along with timeshift-launcher and timeshift-uninstall. Snapshots are stored in folders under /timeshift under File System, and there are about 7 or 8 folders there with names like boot, hourly, weekly, on demand &c

:wizardball: Wiz

#45 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:00 AM

I'm going to try this on software my my Linux computers as soon as possible, actually have TimeShift installed on two computers, but have been so busy, and secondly.have been fighting a comeback from re-injured back due to an accident. Makes it tough, but still find a way to just keep on going. TimeShift holds a lot of promise, and would give many Linux users a fantastic, free, easy to use backup software that appears to be simpler to run than most of all Windows backup solutions. 

Timing was perfect, as the Linux userbase has been growing, so had the need been there for an easy-to-install & run. Users must learn to backup, I do, but have been using a full disk based software, which many will never bother with on Ubuntu (& it's partner distros).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

It's the best thing since sliced bread was introduced for Linux users.

Cat                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users