Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Restore Your Ubuntu Linux System to its Previous State

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thank you to Lori Kaufman @ Howtogeek.com for this great article .

650x250x00_lead_image_timeshift.png.page

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to try a new version of Ubuntu while knowing you can return to the previous version if you don’t like it? We’ll show you a tool that allows you to take a snapshot of your system at any time.

TimeShift is a free tool that is similar to the System Restore feature in Windows. It allows you to initially take a snapshot of your system and then to take incremental snapshots at regular intervals. TimeShift protects only system files and settings, not user files such as documents, pictures, and music. You can use a tool like Back In Time to backup your user files.

How to Restore Your Ubuntu Linux System to its Previous State

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

well, I decided to stop ignoring the advice to make a snapshot of the system and I added the ppa but can't find the program 'timeshift' with apt-get.

Any suggestions as to what to do??

bmike1@c521 ~ $ sudo apt-add-repository –y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
bmike1@c521 ~ $ sudo apt-get update
Ign http://dl.google.com stable InRelease
Ign http://extra.linuxmint.com rebecca InRelease                               
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com trusty InRelease                                 
Get:1 http://extra.linuxmint.com rebecca Release.gpg [198 B]                   
--snip--
bmike1@c521 ~ $ sudo apt-get install timeshift
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package timeshift
bmike1@c521 ~ $ sudo apt-get install time<tab><tab>
time         timelimit    timemachine  timemon.app  

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install timeshift

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#4 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

I did that.

bmike1@c521 ~ $ sudo apt-get update
Ign http://dl.google.com stable InRelease
Ign http://extra.linuxmint.com rebecca InRelease                               
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com trusty InRelease                                 
Get:1 http://extra.linuxmint.com rebecca Release.gpg [198 B]                   
--snip--
bmike1@c521 ~ $ sudo apt-get install timeshift
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package timeshift
bmike1@c521 ~ $ sudo apt-get install time<tab><tab>
time         timelimit    timemachine  timemon.app  

Edited by bmike1, 05 January 2015 - 08:07 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

I just did it on a fresh install of Ubuntu . And it works. You are on Mint right? It should work the same way, Maybe Wizard will have a suggestion regarding Mint.

http://youtu.be/yIFfvEPBOec

Edited by NickAu, 05 January 2015 - 08:31 PM.

Arch Linux .

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:23 AM

Timeshift installed, Thanks Nick! :thumbup2:

I did that.

You did what? What's the dollar sign for? I didn't see that in the Terminal lines that Nick provided. Anytime that I've tried using those to install software, had to exclude the dollar sign, because whatever would fail to install. Maybe it's for another distro other than Mint. 

So if you didn't copy/paste the code exactly as Nick shown, there's a high chance of failure rate. The dollar sign wasn't part of those lines of code, and likely why it did. 

Nick, is a 2nd partition required for this, or do we create this on a backup drive? It's suggesting my root drive. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:38 AM

What's the dollar sign for?

You will find that's a copy and paste from terminal, it's just there as a separator between the prompt and what you actually type.

Traditionally, a shell prompt either ends with $, % or #. If it ends with $, this indicates a shell that's compatible with the Bourne shell (such as a POSIX shell, or a Korn shell, or Bash). If it ends with %, this indicates a C shell (csh or tcsh). If it ends with #, this indicates that the shell is running as the system's superuser account (root), and that you should be extra careful.

EDIT.

Nick, is a 2nd partition required for this, or do we create this on a backup drive? It's suggesting my root drive.

I just let it do its thing by default.

Edited by NickAu, 08 January 2015 - 04:57 AM.

Arch Linux .

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:39 AM

Timeshift installed, Thanks Nick! :thumbup2:

I did that.

You did what? What's the dollar sign for? I didn't see that in the Terminal lines that Nick provided. Anytime that I've tried using those to install software, had to exclude the dollar sign, because whatever would fail to install. Maybe it's for another distro other than Mint. 

So if you didn't copy/paste the code exactly as Nick shown, there's a high chance of failure rate. The dollar sign wasn't part of those lines of code, and likely why it did. 

Cat

The dollar sign is part of the command line. I think you know that.

Edited by bmike1, 08 January 2015 - 04:40 AM.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:26 AM

The dollar sign is part of the command line. I think you know that.

Yes, but for some reason it doesn't work well on my Linux OS's. I cannot begin to add up the times this has failed on me. 

However if I leave out the "$", whatever I want to do will normally get done. 

Maybe it doesn't like Linux Mint, maybe it doesn't like me, but I've got a whole lot more done w/out that part of the command than with it. 

I just let it do its thing by default.

OK, I see, Nick. :thumbup2:

There is the option to create these snapshots in the /home partition, plus a clone operation also. 

Glad that I don't have to further enlarge my root partition, never thought I'd come close to using 50% of 40GiB. It's best for the SSD to keep usage below 50%, not only as a whole, but within partitions also, with a max of 66.67% (two-thirds), over 75% makes it difficult for the controller to function as intended & will lead to rapid performance loss & wear, regardless of OS installed. 

Which is precisely why I prefer to keep backups, data & even my /home & Swap partitions on platter drives. The above rules doesn't apply, but still it's best for those not to fill it past the 80 to 85% limit, and a little less on OS's where defrag is needed. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:36 AM

However if I leave out the "$", whatever I want to do will normally get done.

When some people give commands the also add the $

Eg

$ sudo apt-get install beer

Now if you copy and paste that into terminal it will look like this

$$ sudo apt-get install beer

and that will return

$: command not found

Hang on that's what a wife says regardless of how many $$ there are.

Edited by NickAu, 09 January 2015 - 01:40 AM.

Arch Linux .

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

sorry bmike1, been busy elsewhere

That looks to me like a double (joined, or long) dash in front of the "y ppa:teejee2008/ppa"

Is that so? It should be single.

When you entered the commands to add the repo, did it appear "to take"?

If it "took", it will display an output. I it didn't take, it will return you to the prompt, with no message that the operation has failed.

The following screenshot illustrates:

F3udY8k.png

I first of all entered your command, note the long dash, did the password voodoo and entered, and was returned to the prompt.

I then entered the correct command and output resulted, indicating the command had "taken". In my case, the output would be slightly different to yours, as I already have Tony's repo onboard. The giveaway there is -

"gpg: key 2D0F61F0: "Launchpad PPA for Tony George" not changed"

So it is not a Mint issue, but rather a syntax issue. I suggest try it again, if you have not already.

Another (GUI) way of adding a repo is with Software Sources, as I described here, to pcpunk, #10 refers.

It shows both the correct "take" output (on gezakovacs cf teejee), as well as the Software Sources outcome.

In that post, with Software Sources screenshot, you can see a button at the bottom - "Add a New PPA" - this can be used as an alternative to Terminal commands.

A partial screenshot of mine is as follows:

iKZXav2.png

...and you can see that the "bogus" command that returned me to the Terminal prompt had no effect.

I am reporting this issue to the author of the sudo manual, to see if he thinks it is a bug, and if he agrees I will report it to the bug people.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:04 AM

That looks to me like a double (joined, or long) dash in front of the

Yes it dont look the same.  Wiz is right.

sudo apt-add-repository –y ppa:teejee2008/ppa

Running that on my PC produces an error.

This works fine.

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa

Edited by NickAu, 09 January 2015 - 04:09 AM.

Arch Linux .

#13 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

you were right.... it was a long dash. that is strange because I cut-n-paste the commands.  whatever!

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

....  strange because I cut-n-paste the commands.  whatever!

:trumpet: Gotta grab the kudos when I can, might be a long time between drinks, lol.

That was going to be the next question I asked you. I just cut and paste "sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa" from Tony George's teejeetech and it looks OK here. Also in a Terminal I am running currently under a Live USB of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. But I don't doubt you - I have seen myself on a couple of occasions, where website and browser individualities can render fonts a little differently, but haven't thought to log them.

It might remain Twilight Zone stuff - no answer, but the responses or lack thereof, through Terminal are what interests me.

bmike1, if it's OK with you, I'll log off and back on to flush the Live buffer, and try a couple of things, then report back and ask Nick something?

Back soon, meanwhile enjoy your Timeshift!

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW - sorry, that should be "Nick, if it's OK with you", forgot whom was the OP!!

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 09 January 2015 - 05:14 PM.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

if it's OK with you", forgot whom was the OP!

Fine with me.

Arch Linux .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users