Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bundled Unit won't do initial boot - ASUS and AMD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MurphyMan

MurphyMan

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

Happy New Year!

I bought a bundled DIY machine from NewEgg.  Everything went together pretty well. I also connected the cable to the drives and to the chassis fan.  When I applied power, the green LED on the board illuminated.  However, when I hit the power button on the front of the case it didn't do anything.  No beep, no CPU fan. Operating system not yet installed.

I tried putting another power supply and had the same symptoms.  The power supply has a 24 pin connector and a 4 pin connector.  To rule out the power switch, I also pulled the switch wires off the board and jumpered the pins. I called ASUS tech support and the only thing he could suggest was to bench test it.  No help there.

So I called NewEgg and they are sending out a replacement mother board.  As I was dissembling it, it occurred that maybe the CPU is bad.  I don't know.  How would I know?

I seem to be drifting along without a paddle, so here are the questions?

1.  Anyone know how I may have installed the components incorrectly?

2.  Is it likely the mother board, CPU, or ????

3.  Any other pearls of wisdom?

Thanks!

ASUS A78M-E FM2+ AMD A78 (Bolton D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD A4-6300 Richland Dual-Core 3.7GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Desktop Processor AMD Radeon HD 8370D AD6300OKHLBOX

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM

Patriot Blaze 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

LG optical drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

I have a few thoughts on what could be wrong and I would try to resolve in this order:

Pull out the CPU and make sure you have NO bent pins.

Take out the motherboard from the case and place it on a block of wood and see if the system will boot up then.  If it does then you are grounding out the motherboard onto the case either by a rogue screw where it shouldnt be or the case is touching the motherboard where it shouldnt be.

The video is built into the CPU on this correct?  You don't have any other peripherals other than the SSD installed right?

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,775 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

Make sure the front panel wires are on the correct pins, if they are pull the start button plug off and momentarily short the pins.  Shorting those pins is what signals the PSU to start the machine.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

Looks like a couple of good tips.  I'll give it a shot later this morning.  Thanks!

#5 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

Make sure the front panel wires are on the correct pins, if they are pull the start button plug off and momentarily short the pins.  Shorting those pins is what signals the PSU to start the machine.

I have already done this, but just for grins, I'll test the switch with an ohmmeter.

#6 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:46 AM

The video is built into the CPU on this correct?  You don't have any other peripherals other than the SSD installed right?

There are two monitor outputs on the mobo. I also have a serial card, which I need to program a GPS unit that I have.  I'll pull the card and see if that makes a difference.

#7 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

Okay - I figured it out.  Builder's error.  :axe:

There was a small 4 pin connector at one of the cables with the molex connectors.  There is a 4 pin on the mobo that says CHA FAN - so I mated the two.

Bad idea.  Unplugged the connector and now all seems to be well.

The idea about pulling the board and putting it on a non-conductive surface lead me toward taking a third look at everything.

:bounce: Thanks for the help!

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

LOL well I am glad the fear of benching the board led you to find the cause.  GOd you applied power to a fan connector on the board and it didn't smoke it...

I'm impressed.

Glad all is well

Edited by YeahBleeping, 06 January 2015 - 09:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users