Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help with a live linux project

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xkill911

xkill911

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hello all,

I have a project that might be better suited to use a live linux as an alternative to Windows 7.

I have used Knoppix in the past but that is really all the experience i have with live linux

The Project:

I have around 14 computers that travel in a bus, these computers are at least Dual Core Pentiums with 2 gigs of memory and 120 gig SSD's running Windows 7 Ent. there are provided internet from an 4g wireless hotspot

they are used by the public and only need internet access so Firefox is a must

these computers are up and operational but plagued with problems and slow bugged browsers. 

Goals:

1. Replace Windows 7 with a Live Linux

2. make the computers get a "fresh" install each bootup

3. linux needs to run from a USB device or any better the SSD

4. be able to start Firefox on startup and change homepage to company website

5. be able to set wallpaper to company logo

6. do not allow any files saved to disk

7. must be nearly idiot proof, so i don't have to travel to bus to fix problems

8. no updates should be "calling home" to prevent bandwidth issues

9. must have Java and Flash

10. acceptable bootup time-less then 3mins

any suggestions?

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

If you want to keep Windows, You could try Deep Freeze: System Restore Software for ... - Faronics

For a fast live boot try puppy linux, It can boot from CD, USB, HDD or even a potato I would not use a SSD with Puppy there is no need once booted puppy runs from ram..  My suggestion with puppy would be a remastered CD Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Remastering a frug

13. Make your own Puppy-CD

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

You could also use say Linux Mint, It can be set to not allow customers to mess with the files, Updates can be turned off.

Give puppy a try it's only 200 MiB download, Burn it to CD and boot a pc up take it for a spin, If you like it we can help you set it up exactly as you want.

6. do not allow any files saved to disk

With puppy linux You do not need a hard drive in the PC.

2. make the computers get a "fresh" install each bootup

Booting from a Live CD will do this.

4. be able to start Firefox on startup and change homepage to company website

This is easy ( same in in Windows ) Just set the home page in Firefox preferences.

. be able to set wallpaper to company logo

You just set the wallpaper, Kind of like in windows.

no updates should be "calling home" to prevent bandwidth issues

Puppy Linux is a manual update.

must have Java and Flash

Both can be added.

#3 xkill911

xkill911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

thank you very much Nick!  i am currently exploring the Puppies

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

IMO the best thing about Puppy Linux in your situation is that you do not need a Hard Drive in the PC. Everything runs in ram only once booted from a CD.

Here's what I would do.

I would get puppy linux burn the ISO to CD Boot a PC from the CD and update things like the browser

add the company wallpaper and what ever else you need, Then I would create a save file on the CD and close it off ( So it can't be written to again ).  Now you have secure system that can't be modified. Next I would make as many copies of that CD as I needed and use them to boot all the PC's. The only problem with this is that when you do update browser and flash you will need to make new CD's.

PS you can also do this with USB, But its not as secure.

Edited by NickAu, 06 January 2015 - 04:20 PM.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

I would also recommend using a CD. It's by far the easiest option for what the OP wants to do.

Unlike with other Linux distros run from CD or DVD, because Puppy runs entirely from RAM, you can remove the CD from the computer once it's booted up.

So you could easily disconnect the hard drive, remove the Puppy CD from the computer once it's booted up, and there would be nothing for anyone to be able to save anything to.

EDIT: I've just realised that would be an alternative option to closing the CDs and making new ones when you want to update something; instead leave them open so that you can write new sessions to them, but remove them from the computers once they've booted up so that no one else can.

Edited by Al1000, 06 January 2015 - 05:35 PM.

#6 xkill911

xkill911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

thanks again guys, I tested both Puppy and Knoppix and both would do the job.   I setup some test computers and showed management the solution but unfortunately they shot down my idea. 

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

At least you tried, And now that you played with Puppy Linux a bit who knows you may even use it on your PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users