I have a project that might be better suited to use a live linux as an alternative to Windows 7.
I have used Knoppix in the past but that is really all the experience i have with live linux
I have around 14 computers that travel in a bus, these computers are at least Dual Core Pentiums with 2 gigs of memory and 120 gig SSD's running Windows 7 Ent. there are provided internet from an 4g wireless hotspot
they are used by the public and only need internet access so Firefox is a must
these computers are up and operational but plagued with problems and slow bugged browsers.
1. Replace Windows 7 with a Live Linux
2. make the computers get a "fresh" install each bootup
3. linux needs to run from a USB device or any better the SSD
4. be able to start Firefox on startup and change homepage to company website
5. be able to set wallpaper to company logo
6. do not allow any files saved to disk
7. must be nearly idiot proof, so i don't have to travel to bus to fix problems
8. no updates should be "calling home" to prevent bandwidth issues
9. must have Java and Flash
10. acceptable bootup time-less then 3mins