Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photo/Video Wizard Substitute

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

I do a lot of photography and need to find a different method of downloading images from a memory card to my computer.  My photo editing software (Paint Shop Pro [PSP]) does not include a downloader and the Windows 7 wizard does not allow me to customize my file names, so I have to downoad the images and rename them all with PSP.  Any suggestions here?  Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2015 - 01:39 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hi I do things like that manually however having said that I did hear about this by Google. Here is an excerpt from that article.

Google's Image Recognition Software Can Now Describe Entire Scenes

Image recognition was already good—but it's getting way, way better. A research collaboration between Google and Stanford University is producing software that increasingly describes the entire scene portrayed in a picture, not just individual objects.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 January 2015 - 01:33 PM.
Spelling

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

Thanks.  That is some wild software.  I wasn't clear.  I want to name my individual photo files with a custom name and an ID tag for which camera I use, then numerical sequence.  I have a few hundred thousand pics and that I have my own method of keeping track.  The default Windows photo/video wizard does not give me the option of creating my own tag to be added to each photo.  Windows XP did. 

I used to install Adobe Elements because it has a really nice downloader (and I don't use the program because I don't like it) but I have too many computers already with the program installed. 

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

Sorry that I misunderstood what You wanted. Hopefully someone else has an idea.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

I have no clue what you want either :).

If you just want a convenient tool for renaming files...you might look at Bulk Rename Utility .

Louis

#6 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

I have no clue what you want either :).

If you just want a convenient tool for renaming files...you might look at Bulk Rename Utility .

Louis

Thanks.  I have a good renaming tool in Paint Shop Pro.  However, what I am looking to do is shorten my workflow.  As is I have to download and then rename.  Besides the Windows 7 wizard takes a few steps to locate the correct file in which to download.  With the XP wizard, I could do everything in one step.  It allowed me to create an unique file name and the 7 version does not.

Still looking.

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 485 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

Maybe...

http://www.diffractor.com/

GF likes it and although she isn't an expert, if She's happy... Everyone is happy

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#8 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

I need more information about Defractor rather than load programs on my computer (I am still recovering from a horrible infection from a download.)  I'll poke around. 

Here is exactly what I want.  I plug my memory card and select autoplay (I have it disabled as a default)...a msg box pops up and asks me where I want my photos to go and I can create a default name for my files and it adds on sequential numbering.  The Windows 7 wizard does not allow a customized file name, only one from their short list:

folder name:

Date Taken + tag

Date tahen range + tag

Tag + date imported

Tag + date taken

Tag + date taken range

Tag

My choices for File Name:

Tag

Original file name

Original file name  - preserve folders

I have my own way of naming my files that puts them into chronilogical order (dfferent than the way WIndows does it) and I don't see the option to customize the file names.

That's what I'm after.  Windows XP had that option and so does Adobe Elements, but I don't want to buy that program just for the abiity to customize my files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users