Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potential Malware Problem on Firefox

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WeCanHope

WeCanHope

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

Hello!

Recently I have been noticing some suspicious looking redirect links in my Firefox browser. When I click to go to a website I will quickly see in the bottom left hand side some suspicious redirect links before ending up where I would like to go. Example; I want to visit a website and I see 342sfd87634.cloudfront.net in the left hand corner before taking me to the website. I don't receive any popups, and I always end up on the correct website. It seems to happen randomly. I have ghostery and adblock on firefox. My browser has been a little slower than usual so I thought it may be something to do with that. I'm using Windows 8.1

I have used Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit & Anti Malware (including in safemode) / Adwcleaner and Avast Scanned and everything came back clear. I also reset my firefox browser and reinstalled my Firefox addons (Ghostery and Adblock).

Any help is much appreciated thank you!

Edited by WeCanHope, 05 January 2015 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

Those blinking links are usually harmless and they actually come from that particular site you want visit.

Many sites use those kind of links for different purposes.

cloudfront.net for instance: http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/

If your browser behaves normally there no reason for any concern.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 WeCanHope

WeCanHope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

My browser seems to be okay its just very slow and I thought by pinging those websites before connecting it may have been whats causing me problems. Maybe my ISP is throttling me a little. Thanks

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

Usually when a computer is infected with malware there most likely will be other obvious indications (signs of infection) that something is wrong.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,662 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Which browser is slow?

Did you check other browser(s)?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 WeCanHope

WeCanHope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

I'm using Firefox 34.0.5, still somewhat slow while using chrome too. Webpages occasionaly timeout (it will look like the page has loaded, but then suddenly timeout or reset) I can stream video perfectly (ustream or bbc live news) for example but youtube loads much slower (always needs to buffer). I'm not giving you too much to go on but thank you for the replies! :)

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,662 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:50 PM

p22002970.gif Reset Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

If the above didn't help...

Uninstall Firefox completely using this manual: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/uninstall-firefox-from-your-computer
NOTE. Use MozBackup: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ to backup your bookmarks and passwords. Do NOT backup anything else.
Install fresh copy.

p22002970.gif Reset Chrome...
Click on "Customize and control Google Chrome":
p22003758.gif
Click "Settings" then "Show advanced settings" at the bottom of the screen.
Click "Reset browser settings" button.
Restart Chrome.

If the above didn't help....

Reinstall Chrome...
If you want to save your bookmarks...
How to Backup Bookmarks in Google Chrome
If you want to save your passwords as well see here: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-backup-saved-passwords-in-google-chrome-browser/

• Close all Chrome windows and tabs.
  • Go to the Start menu > Control Panel. (Windows 8 users: Learn how to access the Control Panel)
  • Click Programs and Features.
  • Double-click Google Chrome.
  • Click Uninstall from the confirmation dialog. Delete your user profile information, like your browser preferences, bookmarks, and history, by selecting the "Also delete your browsing data" checkbox.

Install fresh copy.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 WeCanHope

WeCanHope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:08 AM

Well, while browsing the web avast detected and removed a trojan when I tried to visit a website (i guess it was a dodgy site) & now I have a Homegroup icon on my desktop out of no where. I don't know when it appeared, but I have gone to Administrative Tools > Services > and then right clicked and stopped both Homegroup listener and Homegroup Provider. The icon is still however on my desktop. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,662 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

Are both browsers better now?

Remove Homegroup icon appearing suddenly on Windows ...

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

...The appearance of this Homegroup icon is not because of any virus – it just appears to make its presence once in a while – randomly!

For me, Homegroup shows in the Desktop Menu and in Windows Explorer but not on the Desktop screen itself so this is not unique to Windows 8.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 WeCanHope

WeCanHope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

Hey just an update, everything seems to be working perfect. I'm not sure what happened before, but after resetting my browser, running my scans - and disabling that homegroup situation, my internet is working perfect again.

Thank you for all the help and information!!

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,662 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:22 PM

p22003888.gif

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users