Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finally built a computer! (4-6 Years later lol)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

It's been years in the making, but I finally built my computer! 

Asus m5a97 LE Rev 2.0

AMD Fx-6300,
4GB 1600MHz Kingston Value Ram (Going to be upgraded to 8 today.)
  1- 128gb SSD (Silicon S60)
  2- Old, Salvaged Western Digital Caviar drives. 500gb and 320gb 

PowerColor R7 250x (Refurbished. It works, has some coil whine though, got it almost 50$ cheaper than the non-refurb                                           powercolor 250x, which was the cheapest 250x i could find)

Corsair CX500 PSU

and thats all inside a Rosewill Challenger

Using a 32" Apex TV and a 20" (?) old ass monitor my dad has used for over 10 years now in extended desktop mode C:

I'm going to thank you in advance for reading the following long ass story. If you don't wanna read, proceed all the way to the bottom for a TL;DR :)

That being said I ran into hiccups that I THINK I figured out, which is what I need an opinion on by those much more experience than I.

See, I thought I got a bad power supply, and I thought the fan on my Heatsink was bad as well, based on the strange sounds I was hearing on a daily basis. In fact I was so worried I went and bought a new fan for the heatsink and ALMOST ordered a new PSU.
However, I remember way back when I had my amplifier, if I was plugged into an outlet that wasnt grounded my guitar wound up shocking me. I have many old outlets in my house. 
The one I was using had been used for my dads computer previously, and that thing lasted 8 years before it eventually refused to POST and we tossed it. Being that it lasted 8 whole years I thought, "Alright, that outlet should be fine for my computer" (Which I appropriately named Jesus because it's a miracle that it works and I had to resurrect it)

All that noise being said, my power supply clicked, it moaned, it growled at me. I could feel it's vibrations through my desk, and the vibrations fluctuated and you could FEEL the fluctuations. The NIGHT I was going to order a new PSU I remember my amplifier, and said holy sheise, thats something I need to try.

I have this surge strip that detects whether an outlet is grounded or not, so I checked. Low and behold, it wasnt. So I dug through the garage for a good extension cord, and plugged the strip into a good outlet. Then followed Jesus and my dads old monitor. 
Now it's 3-5 days (I barely sleep and work too much so I lose track of time) after the fact, and I havent once heard any of the strange noises my PSU was making. I no longer feel the vibrations through the desk, and besides the slight coil whine from either the PSU or my GPU, all I hear is the soothing hum of some fans. 

TL;DR
60 year old power outlet made my PSU moan, groan, and click. Switched and now it's perfectly fine thus far.

All of that being said. How many bad reviews, or "faulty" devices are the fault of "bad" power? Bad house wiring? It really makes me wonder, considering theres always so many bad reviews on even the best devices i look at online.
Thanks for your time everyone :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users