Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good cheap(ish) SSD with at least 512GB?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:16 AM

Hi,

it's been two years since I've built my PC and unsurprisingly the storage room on my SSD has run out. (I have a 128GB OCZ Agility 3 SS). So I'm looking for a replacement or enhancement of the system and to make it somewhat future proof I would like to upgrade with quite a bit more space.

I'm thinking of getting 512GB, since the 1TB drives really are quite expensive still. Unfortunately I don't really know what to look for in an SSD and where to look for comparisons between SSDs. What would be the fastest SSD at the moment, which do you consider best value for money and which SSDs are to be avoided?

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

There are several quality SSD's.  I've heard good things about Samsung and Intel.  The SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD512BW 2.5" 512GB gets good reviews.

3939.png

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Topic Starter

• 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

yes, I was actually looking at the samsung one before, but realised I had no way of estimating whether it's good or not. :lol:

Is there anything to take into account given that this is the model from 2 years ago? What would be the difference to the model that came out this year?

regards

myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

Honestly...  You should just get a ' storage ' drive.

I have an SSD for my OS anti virus software and a few other programs that I use a lot but the bulk of my programs I have on a seperate 2TB SATA hard drive 6gb interface

A quick look shows you can get a 2 TB sata for around 80 bucks and a 3 TB drive for 100.

It would be silly for you to continue to try and keep up with space buying expensive SSD's .. lets face it .. do you run all the programs on your hard drive simultaneously?  If you find you want a specific program on your SSD simply move it from your ' storage' drive to your faster SSD. 

Hope that helps and makes sense.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 05 January 2015 - 07:47 PM.

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Topic Starter

• 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hi,

I don't really need an additional 2TB. To be honest if I switched from 128 to 256 would probably be enough to accomodate the games I'm currently looking at. (Eg Diablo3, which I still play, takes up 20GB alone). At this rate the 256 GB will be full when I install 5 more games and I don't think moving the games from/to hard drive based on whether or not I'm wanting to play them right now is not a good idea since I would have to wait for the copying to be done every time, plus steam will get royally confused about whether or not a game is there if I'm constantly breaking the installs.

I don't create videos and I have a "normal" hard drive to store my pictures and other files on it, but I would like to have a few more programs available to be started when I want to use them, without having to wait for them to be moved from drive C to D

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:08 AM

I don't follow SSD's that closely but I've seen decent reviews on the new Samsung 850 Evo models which are a little higher performance than the 840 Pro's, and cheaper.  They seem fairly good value to me if you are looking for a high performance drive without spending too much (in 500Gb size they are about a $35 price premium over the old 840 Evo model currently - link)

The 840 and 850 Pro model are $300 and $343 respectively on PCPartpicker at the moment, so a little more expensive.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

Hi (again)

Far be it from me to advise you to get a storage drive if your really wanting to spend that kind of money on an SSD.  But I would be remice if I didn't at least tell you that even the smallest SATA drives are better bang for the buck than an SSD.

Even when playing games the hard drive doesn't read (all the time) from the hard drive.  You would not see a huge improvement in most games other than maybe games like world of warcraft that load an entire (world) on load.

It just seems a waste of money to put a bunch of programs on an SSD when the program would be just as quick on an SATA drive. 

Honestly what takes a bunch of time is the booting up / starting of windows and initial install and download of a game, the rest is pretty quick.  You normally wouldn't be able to tell the difference from SATA to SSD. 

I guarantee you that if you use steam you will probably download a lot of games.  You can set the steam download drive to a different drive so that it doesn't take space on your SSD (if your willing to put out the 300bux or more as stated above. 

Again, I am not trying to push you into a second 'storage' drive I am just thinking.. in the long run .. we all want more space.  Why start at the end when you need it when you could have started at the begining.  Well I feel like im beating a horse so i'll just leave this with my aformentioned comments.

Good Luck !

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Hi myrti

SanDisk is not bad

http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/ssd/sata/

I have 2 of these and they are great. I abuse them, No over-provisioning, Swap is on SSD, VM stuff on SSD, I treat it like a HDD. No issues so far. I figure it this way if it breaks before the Warranty is up they will replace or fix it, If it lasts longer than that and then fails, oh well, Time to get a new 1.
★★Brand NEW★★ Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD Solid State Drive 530MB/s 7mm SATA3
f41rf9.png

Edited by NickAu, 07 January 2015 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users