Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wired/wireless - local only no internet

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 john8008

john8008

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:32 AM

So my laptop was working fine ,but suddenly it stopped connection to internet both wired and wireless i get Local only

i can ping 127.0.0.1 ok

ping own ip   ok

ping to router gateway = FAIL

checked router with other laptop , router is showing that it is leasing the IP to both correctly , so my problem is with the laptop. :(

i think if ping to router can be fixed it will fix my internet problem .

please help , thanks in advance .

update : 

When i click diagnose it gives this Error

HlCT1Pq.png

Update 2 : system restore = no fix

Can connect to other wifi no problem . So i has to be some problem between my laptop and my router :S

Edited by john8008, 05 January 2015 - 04:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:24 AM

Hi,
If you can access the settings of router, check its logs whether getting connection to modem (if modem is a different device not builtinto router) or your logs show acquiring public IP address (different from 192.168.xxx.xxx ) from ISP.
Also, check the dns IP addresses set in router.
Since you cannot ping to your router, check if any proxy server is configured on your laptop. Open IE > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings.
Also, run 'ipconfig /all' in a command prompt. What does it report? (copy and paste the data after removing any personal data if found)
Did you have any malware/other infection in past?
What does resetting the adapter result in?
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 john8008

john8008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:44 AM

hi Nikhil thanks for reply

I can get in router with other laptop , 

Logs = off so nothing there.

dns ip there and working for this laptop

DHCP lease is showing it has 2 entries for both laptops

No proxy settings found.

Ipconfig/all 

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : john
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945BG Network Conn
ection
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.9(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 05 January 2015 13:26:27
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 July 2017 23:27:23
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

i do not know of any malware etc in the past , the internet just stopped working suddenly :/

reseting adaptar does nothing .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can connect to other wifi with no problems .

Edited by john8008, 05 January 2015 - 06:26 AM.

#4 john8008

john8008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:10 AM

Update : ok i tried

SAFE mode with networking and it can connect with no problems 

Ran mbam/antivirus and found no malwares/virus

connection is showing no triangle or red cross , it shows as "local and interenet" with blue globe ... but no internet in NORMAL MODE

Edited by john8008, 05 January 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#5 john8008

john8008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

Update 2 : I disabled my Antivirus/firewall and then internet worked in Normal mode , So how can i fix without disabling Antivirus/firewall

thanks. 

#6 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hi john8008,
Thanks for the updates. (had to jumb off to some other reading.)
since the safe mode works (is it only working for wireless or for wired too?), it may be some program/driver interfering the connection.
Turn off the antivirus software's realtime protection and firewall protection and try pinging google.com (do not visit any other sites)
You may make use of the netadapter-repair from below link to diagnose the issue.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/netadapter-repair-all-in-one/
Keep the post updated with your inference.

Edit:
please specify your security software(not malwarebytes antimalware if its the free ed. There may be option to reset the firewall of the security software else you will have you uninstall, clean the leftovers with the removal tool of the vendor and reinstall it.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 05 January 2015 - 08:08 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#7 john8008

john8008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

hi again nikhil

1) Safe mode = both wired/wireless work with no problem

2)Firewall off and ping to google works fine ,

C:\>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [216.58.208.46] with 32 bytes of dat
Reply from 216.58.208.46: bytes=32 time=202ms TTL=57
Reply from 216.58.208.46: bytes=32 time=213ms TTL=57
Reply from 216.58.208.46: bytes=32 time=211ms TTL=57
Reply from 216.58.208.46: bytes=32 time=197ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 216.58.208.46:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 197ms, Maximum = 213ms, Average = 205ms

3) Downloaded Netadpter-repair-all , but not run yet
Should i click on Advanced Repair ?

4) Antivirus is Norton internet security 

#8 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

In NIS main gui > settings > network tab > smart firewall > there is an option to reset the firewall {its like a url link, in blue text with label 'reset'} (I think its under the advanced settings)
Here is the link : https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v6012673_NIS_OEM_2014_en_us?q=Reset+smart+firewall+Norton+Internet+Security&src=nrt
Make sure you have NIS 21.6.0.32 which is the latest version. You will have ou reboot your machine after it for better effect.
Keep the topic updated.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 05 January 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#9 john8008

john8008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

1) Reset the firewall settings

2) restarted

3) connected via wired connection and internet works :) in normal mode

4) anything else required to avoid this in future ?

Thanks for you're help Nikhil :)

#10 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

Check your wireless too and you are good to go.
Good luck ...
Surf safe..

#11 john8008

john8008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

1) wireless checked also working fine

thanks again for help Nikihil :)

#12 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:38 AM

Happy to help..
If the issue is back and you had any other security software before installing NIS, make sure you ran the removal tool of that corresponding software after uninstalling it via control panel.
Norton sometimes misbehaves if the left over of some other security software is present. (I mean not MBAM, but others like for eg. mcafee, bitdefender, kaspersky products etc)

#13 john8008

john8008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Happy to help..
If the issue is back and you had any other security software before installing NIS, make sure you ran the removal tool of that corresponding software after uninstalling it via control panel.
Norton sometimes misbehaves if the left over of some other security software is present. (I mean not MBAM, but others like for eg. mcafee, bitdefender, kaspersky products etc)

I always had only NIS and MBAM , what i noticed before the problem started was , my router kept on restarting [ there is some issue with ISP currently slow speed for all users etc] and then i lost connection to this laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users