Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm so far lost with this PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GrandBandit

GrandBandit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:57 AM

Hey there bleeping computer. I just built a new PC and have been having non stop issues with it. Wherever I turn (reddit, linustechtips, friends) no one seems to have any clue what's wrong. This has been one heck of a journey.

My PC specs:

Asus GTX 970 Strix 4gb OC edition,
z97 gaming 5 mobo,
i7-4790k,
h90 cooler,
1600mhz 8gb ddr3 g.skill ripjaws,
EVGA 750w G2 PSU,

128gb SSD.

First, I got every installed on Win8, games, etc. Started playing this Dino game in 1080p, when the PC crashed, and the PSU kept making a clicking noise and trying to restart every 1-2 seconds, without success. The only way to get out of this was to do a power flush. The crash was just a black screen, almost like a power failure. 

Someone suggested my CPU was overheating, so they had me run stress test. Sure enough, it would crash every time about 7-8 minutes in. My friend and I installed Win7, still crashed. We then applied new clean thermal paste, wiping all the old off (someone thought perhaps it wasn't being cooled properly, a unlevel fan or etc.) But now I'm just getting a different BSOD every time I try and do something, and the PSU clicking thing still occurs every now and then.

BSOD's:  http://i.imgur.com/s0gZ3jb.png (also a memtest BSOD) so bleepingcomputer...what is going on?

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2015 - 10:33 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

Sounds like a power supply issue, try  another good new power supply and check for issues, what I see in the image you also might be having problems with NVIDIA driver.

Edited by mauguilar, 05 January 2015 - 11:42 AM.

#3 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

... But now I'm just getting a different BSOD every time I try and do something, and the PSU clicking thing still occurs every now and then.

BSOD's:  http://i.imgur.com/s0gZ3jb.png (also a memtest BSOD) so bleepingcomputer...what is going on?

Try using the Memtest86+ ISO and running a memory test from a bootable cd. Sounds like you tried running a memory test while Windows was running. I saw only two BSOD's in the screenshot but a lot of different BSOD's can suggest a problem with RAM.

Other than trying a different power supply you can try removing all components that aren't needed for the motherboard to POST. In your list of components I'd remove/disconnect the graphics card, SSD, and maybe try not putting in all the RAM modules. If the power supply stops acting strange then start adding components until the power supply becomes strange again. Not often but sometimes I've seen faulty components cause problems with power supplies. Though, I agree that most likely the power supply is the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users