Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SQL and user creation problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:27 AM

Hi folks, 

I've got a hosted account with Godaddy and recently started to build an SQL based site. My first problem cropped up fairly quickly and I'm not sure of the best way to proceed. The basic problem is I'm not able to create further users so I can't limit privileges from the outset, which would be my preferred option. I can't actually see a way around this as I will need to work on the database at some stage and further restricting the sole account able to do it is not really practical. The only thing I can think of is to use prepared statements for all actions, which should be possible, but that doesn't feel like enough from a security perspective.

Any thoughts would be welcome

Cheers.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

I have Go Daddy CPanel and can create users

phpMyAdmin, user management is controlled via the Users link from the main page. Users can be created, edited, and removed.

EDIT:

here is what mine says...

To create a new user, click the Add a new user link near the bottom of the Users page (you must be a “superuser”, e.g., user “root”). Use the textboxes and drop-downs to configure the user to your particular needs. You can then select whether to create a database for that user and grant specific global privileges. Once you’ve created the user (by clicking Go), you can define that user’s permissions on a specific database (don’t grant global privileges in that case). In general, users do not need any global privileges (other than USAGE), only permissions for their specific database.

Edited by Martel, 05 January 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#3 webrat

webrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

Thanks Martel, I've seen that but I'm on the hosted (in house) control panel rather than cpanel proper because I'm on shared hosting. You only get cpanel with VPS/private servers. I've been looking at it again and I don't honestly think there is a solution to it other than to use the existing user account. Partly my own fault for not fully researching what is available but also a bit of a low blow frankly, as they don't give you a great deal of information at the outset unless you call. Lesson learned...but thanks anyway. 

#4 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:49 AM

You can ask support they ought to know if there is a way. (watch it) They will always try and sell you something on every call.

I will ask my SQL support tech in the morning.

(Are you sure you can't add users)?

edit:

If you need a special price on hosting let me know and I will get you one.

If you need it PM me so its not out here.

Edited by Martel, 06 January 2015 - 01:05 AM.

#5 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

To make a long story short ...
python, pearl, aspx, asp command query procedure . Stored procedure parameters meet criretia join.
or better yet
depending on which, there is a free desktop tool each user can get.

#6 Colby_GoDaddy

Colby_GoDaddy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Martel, I've seen that but I'm on the hosted (in house) control panel rather than cpanel proper because I'm on shared hosting. You only get cpanel with VPS/private servers. I've been looking at it again and I don't honestly think there is a solution to it other than to use the existing user account. Partly my own fault for not fully researching what is available but also a bit of a low blow frankly, as they don't give you a great deal of information at the outset unless you call. Lesson learned...but thanks anyway. 

Hey there webrat. I saw you post and just wanted to follow up and let you know that cPanel is no longer just for Vded and Dedicated server customers, but we do in fact offer it on shared hosting now as well. Support can assist you in getting that plan if that is a better fit for you. Hope this new info helps! 

Kindly,

Colby

GoDaddy Social Team

#7 webrat

webrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:18 AM

Thanks Colby, I will definitely look into that and see if it resolves this one. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users