Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have to restart Windows 8.1 before seeing correct resolution on ultrawide

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:13 AM

I know a guy that bought a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro laptop and LG Ultrawide IPS monitor. If he connects the LG monitor to the laptop while Windows 8.1 is running then he has to restart Windows before the correct resolution will appear on the ultrawide monitor. The ultrawide monitor supports 2560 x 1080. If the laptop is plugged in without restarting Windows then Windows or the monitor becomes stuck at a lower resolution setting- looks like 1920 x 1080. Strangely, the graphics options menu in Windows shows the highest resolution is selected but there's a message in the window stating a lower resolution is selected and I can see a lower resolution is in use. Changing the resolution in the graphics settings doesn't work. The specific drivers for the monitor are installed rather than the generic monitor drivers. I set Windows to switch off the laptop's screen when the ultrawide monitor is connected. I heard and read the resolutions supported by HDMI connections are limited (the way he's connecting the laptop to the monitor- micro-HDMI to HDMI cable) but I'm not sure about those limits. Sometimes I read 1920 x 1080 and other times I read 1920 x 1200. Seems like people disagree about that. He wants to be able to connect the monitor and see the correct resolution without restarting Windows. Suggestions?

Edited by Windont, 05 January 2015 - 02:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

I would connect the monitor BEFORE starting the system. The OS inventories the connected devices when it powers up. Adding things later does not always mean that the system will recognize them and make the necessary adjustments. [from personal experience]

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Windont

Windont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:28 AM

I worked on this some more today. Initially I thought the problem was the monitor drivers provided by LG. However, I uninstalled those and used a generic driver. I still had the problems with the resolution being stuck when I connected the laptop to the LG monitor without restarting Windows 8.1. I found the scaling is wrong, too. Also, when the LG monitor is disconnected from the laptop the resolution of the laptop's screen is OK but the scaling isn't and everything is ridiculously small. Restarting Win 8.1 solves the resolution and scaling issues for the LG monitor and laptop screen. I found that logging out will do the same but logging out is almost as inconvenient as restarting. Either way the user must save their work and close programs and then after logging in restart programs and open files again. The problem seems to be a mix of Windows 8.1 not conveniently rescaling images for high resolutions, not finding the correct resolution for a high-res monitor, and programs that don't rescale correctly. I thought Windows 8.1 was supposed to handle multiple screens being connected/disconnected better. I opened a support ticket with LG about this a few days ago but haven't seen a reply, yet.

Edited by Windont, 14 January 2015 - 01:36 AM.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

I don't think that the AI [artificial intelligence] currently in monitors or OSs is up to that level at this time. Things are getting better and maybe someday . . .

Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 shad0wrider

shad0wrider

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

Windont, sorry for the reply on this old topic, but did you ever resolve the issue?  Did LG respond?  I'm having an issue with a Lenovo Yoga and the LG Ultrawide as well.  Programs will fail to respond or load when Windows is set to it's highest resolution for the monitor.  Any info you may have found would be helpful.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users