My computer has been slow, but I don't think it's from a virus. Avast tells me everything is clean. I think it's just general old-ish age slow(I've had it for three years, I think, and never really "maintained" it)
Will factory restoring it like shown in these steps I found fix slowness? Or should I just find a windows 7 disc and wipe it? Also, if restoring is a better method, should I do non-destructive? I'm not sure what the difference really is.
Edit* Also, I read something about microsoft programs. What's that? The programs that came with the computer(like Paint)? It said there is no way to keep microsoft programs when resetting.
1. Turn on or reboot/restart the computer.
2. Tap the F10 key repeatedly once you see the Compaq logo until the recovery screen appears. On some models it may be the F11 key. This must be done before your operating system begins to load. If you see the Windows logo appear on screen, you'll have to restart and try again.
3. When the recovery screen appears, press "Next" and then "Yes" to perform a non-destructive recovery.
4. To perform a destructive recovery, click "Advanced" and then "Yes".
5. After the recovery is finished, the laptop will reboot.
If the recovery program no longer works, you may order recovery discs from Compaq.
There is no way of keeping your microsoft programs when you do a factory reset. You need to reinstall them. Make sure you have the product keys to your applications with you.
Edited by tkelly1, 04 January 2015 - 11:23 PM.