Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory restore or wipe?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tkelly1

tkelly1

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

My computer has been slow, but I don't think it's from a virus. Avast tells me everything is clean. I think it's just general old-ish age slow(I've had it for three years, I think, and never really "maintained" it)

Will factory restoring it like shown in these steps I found fix slowness? Or should I just find a windows 7 disc and wipe it? Also, if restoring is a better method, should I do non-destructive? I'm not sure what the difference really is. 

Edit* Also, I read something about microsoft programs. What's that? The programs that came with the computer(like Paint)? It said there is no way to keep microsoft programs when resetting.

1. Turn on or reboot/restart the computer. 
2. Tap the F10 key repeatedly once you see the Compaq logo until the recovery screen appears. On some models it may be the F11 key. This must be done before your operating system begins to load. If you see the Windows logo appear on screen, you'll have to restart and try again. 
3. When the recovery screen appears, press "Next" and then "Yes" to perform a non-destructive recovery. 
4. To perform a destructive recovery, click "Advanced" and then "Yes". 
5. After the recovery is finished, the laptop will reboot. 

If the recovery program no longer works, you may order recovery discs from Compaq. 

There is no way of keeping your microsoft programs when you do a factory reset. You need to reinstall them. Make sure you have the product keys to your applications with you.

Edited by tkelly1, 04 January 2015 - 11:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

Hi!

Before you do anything like a reinstall or a wipe I suggest preforming some simple maintenance. Run things like Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragment first and see it that improves things. As well if you don't already run a good anti malware program to see if malware might be slowing things down. If all that has no effect then perhaps the wipe and fresh install might be the best thing to do. Hope this helps!

Edited by Lunathecat, 04 January 2015 - 11:31 PM.

#3 tkelly1

tkelly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

Hi!

Before you do anything like a reinstall or a wipe I suggest preforming some simple maintenance. Run things like Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragment first and see it that improves things. As well if you don't already run a good anti malware program to see if malware might be slowing things down. If all that has no effect then perhaps the wipe and fresh install might be the best thing to do. Hope this helps!

I'll try that. 

#4 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:43 PM

I hope it helps! Most slowdowns that are not caused from malware or other things like that can be solved with some simple maintenance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users