Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Cooling system integrated in desk

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JoshT89

JoshT89

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:48 PM

So, I'll start this off by saying my specs:

Motherboard: msi Z87-G45 Gaming

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670 3.4 Ghz

Ram: 16GB DDr3 Kingston

GPU: msi twin frozr gaming Geforce GTX 760 4GB

HDD: 1TB

So after that I'll also say that the GPU (Has 2 sexy looking fans) and CPU have the stock fans and the case has an additional 2 fans one on the front and another at the back. There is still a slot for another one at the top back and one on the transparent side panel.

So, I'm going to make a custom desk, and was going to make a little closed area for the tower that would be temperature moderated, so if you look at a normal desk with one of those little "closets" (As seen here next to the tower: http://www.shouduzp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/White-Best-Modern-Home-Office-Desks-Furniture-Sets.jpg)

I was planning putting the tower in there, so it wouldn't pick up much dust (Also Place some mesh net over the fans blowing into the "closet" to keep as much dust away as possible), then on maybe both sides one of the sides having a good few fans blowing in to keep it cool, and some (Not as much as the ones blowing in) blowing out so If there is extra heat it won't overheat the pc.

This is my plan for now and I'd like some feed-back to then get it all together for some building, I have a small budget and can't afford water cooling and would rather not take the risk of having it.

Extra info: I installed Real temp today, and while playing war thunder on high graphics I saw that the max my CPU was, was 69ºC which from what I seen is already dangerously high, so, the fans should help no?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

69 Degrees is high, to me at least. My FX-6300 doesn't go past 60 even during benchmark tests. It's not necessarily DANGEROUS, but it's higher than I ever get my CPU. Personally I would look into aftermarket heatsinks. You could start another thread specifically to target that, as I'm pretty much an amateur, I JUST built my first rig 2 months ago

You're making it sound like a computer case for your computer case. That being said you'll want the cool air to be pulled in through the bottom and the hot air to be exhausted out the top, just like the case itself. For it to work any better than the case itself you would need an actual cooling factor, like a small air conditioner or one of those DIY "Air Conditioners" that use a foam cooler, ice, and a a couple fans, or something more practical that can be plugged in. I think that would be great for when you want your rig to be cool but you don't want to kill your electric bill by turning your air conditioner on. 

I think maybe you could save yourself some time and money, and draw up some blue prints and brain storm on this custom desk idea so that it works out to an advantage instead of a disadvantage, and focus on getting your temps down as is. Just my 2 cents. 

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

Hello.

I see what your trying to do here is keep your computer cool  (cooler) and also trying to keep it free from dust.  Very commendable yet also very tough.  It may help if you also provided us with information regarding your case.

Keep in mind that although putting more fans can help keep a computer cooler.  If your blowing 'warm' ambient air into the enclosure, your not really doing your computer any favors.  Most data centers that I have seen try to keep their ambient temperature some where in the 65 degrees F and below.  So unless you have a way to cool the ambient temperature putting your computer inside of an enclosed box  simply won't be enough to keep it cool (make a fist and try to blow air into your palm between your thumb and pointer.  Even if you put fans blowing ' fresh ' air in.  Its harder for your computer to get any of it.

But I also understand that putting your computer inside this ' cabinet ' will keep the noise factor down quite a bit so it seems appealing.  Problem is.. the fans you would probably use to push fresh air into your cabinet (or suck hot air out) is going to make that a moot point)

If you get a portable AC and duct the cool air into the cabinet AND have 2 fans for circulation and 1 for exhaust.  This may be enough for you to actually cool down that cabinet.  But in really hot days you will want to be sure your not getting condensation inside your cabinet.  Or you need more fans to keep it dry in there.  Interesting concept.  Too much for my pocket book.  Those are my thoughts.  Good Luck.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

IMO get a better CPU cooler.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 JoshT89

JoshT89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hello.

I see what your trying to do here is keep your computer cool  (cooler) and also trying to keep it free from dust.  Very commendable yet also very tough.  It may help if you also provided us with information regarding your case.

Keep in mind that although putting more fans can help keep a computer cooler.  If your blowing 'warm' ambient air into the enclosure, your not really doing your computer any favors.  Most data centers that I have seen try to keep their ambient temperature some where in the 65 degrees F and below.  So unless you have a way to cool the ambient temperature putting your computer inside of an enclosed box  simply won't be enough to keep it cool (make a fist and try to blow air into your palm between your thumb and pointer.  Even if you put fans blowing ' fresh ' air in.  Its harder for your computer to get any of it.

But I also understand that putting your computer inside this ' cabinet ' will keep the noise factor down quite a bit so it seems appealing.  Problem is.. the fans you would probably use to push fresh air into your cabinet (or suck hot air out) is going to make that a moot point)

If you get a portable AC and duct the cool air into the cabinet AND have 2 fans for circulation and 1 for exhaust.  This may be enough for you to actually cool down that cabinet.  But in really hot days you will want to be sure your not getting condensation inside your cabinet.  Or you need more fans to keep it dry in there.  Interesting concept.  Too much for my pocket book.  Those are my thoughts.  Good Luck.

The case I have is the Cooler Master K380 It has 1 fan actually (Thought i had at least 2) at the front. There is then the 2 that come with the GPU and the one stock fan for CPU.

I have space to put 1 fan at the base of the Tower 1 at the top, 1 at the back top and 1 on the side (Which without the fan is just vented), I wouldn't mind getting those closed fans for the CPU which is like the alternative from water cooling, I think its like 2 close fans that blow into tube that go to the CPU. I don't have money nor do I want to take the risk of getting water cooling even if its just for the CPU...

Do you have any one in mind? 

#6 JoshT89

JoshT89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

69 Degrees is high, to me at least. My FX-6300 doesn't go past 60 even during benchmark tests. It's not necessarily DANGEROUS, but it's higher than I ever get my CPU. Personally I would look into aftermarket heatsinks. You could start another thread specifically to target that, as I'm pretty much an amateur, I JUST built my first rig 2 months ago

You're making it sound like a computer case for your computer case. That being said you'll want the cool air to be pulled in through the bottom and the hot air to be exhausted out the top, just like the case itself. For it to work any better than the case itself you would need an actual cooling factor, like a small air conditioner or one of those DIY "Air Conditioners" that use a foam cooler, ice, and a a couple fans, or something more practical that can be plugged in. I think that would be great for when you want your rig to be cool but you don't want to kill your electric bill by turning your air conditioner on. 

I think maybe you could save yourself some time and money, and draw up some blue prints and brain storm on this custom desk idea so that it works out to an advantage instead of a disadvantage, and focus on getting your temps down as is. Just my 2 cents. 

Well as I said, I still haven't made anything and am looking for ideas, I actually checked my case wrong I don't know where I got the rear fan from, the case actually on has one at the front. You can see on something I quoted the other slots for fans that I have, should I maybe just look at getting additional fans for the case and a big one for the CPU?

I dunno I'm here for your guys opinions so I'm free to hear your thoughts

#7 Volanz

Volanz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:55 AM

Hi, 

There are a few programs I use to monitor my cpu's & Drives temp. Speccy and Core Temp (both Free) The least expencive thing to start with is a can of "Canned Air" or  "Dust off" ....

Bow out everything. 

shutdown & unplug the PC before doing any work internally !!

Clean the dust out of it and you should get some better readings.

-Volanz

#8 JoshT89

JoshT89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

Hi, 

There are a few programs I use to monitor my cpu's & Drives temp. Speccy and Core Temp (both Free) The least expencive thing to start with is a can of "Canned Air" or  "Dust off" ....

Bow out everything. 

shutdown & unplug the PC before doing any work internally !!

Clean the dust out of it and you should get some better readings.

-Volanz

Thanks I'll give the softwares a look at. But do they have the option like RealTemp where I can have the temperatures in the task bar so I can keep an eye on them? Because that's what I'm looking for.

Yeh I saw the canned air on a video on youtube and will use it to clean the pc, hopefully they have it at the local DIY store.

Edited by JoshT89, 06 January 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

Hello.

The case I have is the Cooler Master K380 It has 1 fan actually (Thought i had at least 2) at the front. There is then the 2 that come with the GPU and the one stock fan for CPU.

I have space to put 1 fan at the base of the Tower 1 at the top, 1 at the back top and 1 on the side (Which without the fan is just vented), I wouldn't mind getting those closed fans for the CPU which is like the alternative from water cooling, I think its like 2 close fans that blow into tube that go to the CPU. I don't have money nor do I want to take the risk of getting water cooling even if its just for the CPU...

Do you have any one in mind? 

There are many coolers that will benefit you far more than case fans, below is the Google link to several cooler tests.  Before deciding on any particular make sure it will clear other components, some can crowd ram in thos cases I have put a small dedicated fan in place.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cpu+air+cooler+benchmarks&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 Volanz

Volanz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

Thanks I'll give the softwares a look at. But do they have the option like RealTemp where I can have the temperatures in the task bar so I can keep an eye on them? Because that's what I'm looking for.

Yeh I saw the canned air on a video on youtube and will use it to clean the pc, hopefully they have it at the local DIY store.

Yes.... If i remember correctly you can set it up how you like. Run down the options on each before install.

BTW... Speccy was showing a higher temp reading than Core Temp also core temp has many options and is useful in other areas.

-Volanz

(Really wish this forum had "Likes" )

Edited by Volanz, 06 January 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

Everyone who has built a computers for any length of time will have different opinions on what to do and what to try to cool your computer down.  I did build a water cooled pc that still runs fine and runs cooler than any other computer I've had. 

The neat thing tho is that fan coolers have gotten pretty darn good these days and can cool almost as good as water cooling.

You could always fill up those empty fan spaces with some fans and it should cool down your pc.

I am a big fan of the Noctua brand of fan cpu coolers.

My latest pc build I decided to go for the silent route.  I am/was tired of turning on my computer to play some games and having the constant droan of fan noise.  I ended up going the route of a NOFAN case and cooler.  Although I still put a fan into the case.  Now, the only fan sound I hear is when my video card ramps up to play games.  Which is still more quiet than any other computer i've built.

Make no mistake ... this cpu cooler is a monster.  But installed easy into the cs-80 case and theres still plenty of room.  Unless I want to install more memory then I will have to take the cooler off. hehe..

Anyway I hope this gives you some ideas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users