Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get a new computer now or wait?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fishrman

fishrman

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

My machine is 5 years old. I have not noticed any problems with it other than it could be a little faster and I do notice it freezing now and again on the internet but that is probably the internet and not my machine. Anyway, I do plan on getting Windows 10 when it is released. Sounds like that may not be till toward the end of the year now. I currently have Windows 7 and have no intentions or inclinations to go to 8.1. I am avoiding it as much as I can. I have found a couple of different machines that I think I would enjoy. Both are I7 processors with 16 gigs of ram with 1 T. hard drives and both can be bought for 800.00 or under. One is an HP and the other is a Cyberpower. I am not at all familiar with the Cyberpower but I can pick it up for 150. or so less than the HP. I like to be a little proactive when it comes to my computers and buy them before I really have to have one. I used to buy a new one every 2 years or so and 5 years is a long time for me to go without getting a new one but this one has done everything I have asked it to. Just wanting some input from anyone that can give me their idea on what they might do. Thanks. The HP is 700qe and the Cyberpower has the following: Thanks for the help!
Processor & Memory:

• Intel Core i7-4790 Processor 3.6GHz
  • 16GB DDR3 SDRAM

Drives: 

• 2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:

• Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)

Graphics & Video: 

• Integrated Intel HD 4600 Graphics

Communications:  

• 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Audio: 

• Integrated High Definition 7.1-Channel Audio Processing

Keyboard & Mouse: 

• USB Keyboard
  • USB Mouse

Expandability (Total Slots): 

• 2x 5.25" External
  • 1x 3.5" External
  • 7x 3.5" Internal
  • 1x 2.5" Internal
  • 1x PCI-E x16
  • 1x PCI-E x1
  • 2x DIMM 240-pin

I/O Ports & Slots:

• 2x PS/2 Style
  • 3x USB 3.0
  • 5x USB 2.0
  • 1x LAN Port
  • 3x Audio Jacks
  • 1x D-Sub
  • 1x HDMI

Note: the HP has the following:

Processor & Memory:

• Intel® Core™ i7-4771 Processor (3.5GHz)
  • 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

Drives:

• 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:

• Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional

Graphics & Video:

• Intel Integrated Graphics

Communications:  

• Wireless-N LAN card + Bluetooth

Audio:

• Beats Audio

Keyboard:

• USB wired keyboard + optical mouse

Ports & Slots:

• 4x USB 3.0
  • 4x USB 2.0
  • 1x Multi-Media Card Reader  
  • 1x Combination headphone / microphone jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

Any thoughts on which computer I have listed is the best?? I can get the Cyberpower one for 699.00 or the HP for 849.00. Thanks!

#3 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

What do you generally use your computer for? Cyberpower has been reputable at least in my experience, and that seems like a pretty nice build for that price.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#4 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

What do you generally use your computer for? Cyberpower has been reputable at least in my experience, and that seems like a pretty nice build for that price.

That is kind of what I thought too. I am not up on Cyberpower at all though.  Truthfully, I don't do nearly as much with my computer as I used to, I am not a big gamer like I used to be but have some Grandkids getting big enough that they want to use it when they come over watching Youtube videos and playing a few minor games. For me, it is mostly cruising the internet and I know I don't need a powerful machine for that but, on the other hand, if I need power, I like to have it available to me! Do some photo things and editing as well. In looking at that Cyberpower machine, I am not sure it has a built in SD card reader which I find convenient. Thanks for the reply!

#5 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

I see, well the Cyberpower does have a better processor and more hard drive space, for less than the HP, so I would go with that one. If you can provide a link to it I could check to be sure if it has a memory card reader or not. You can also buy them fairly cheap online if it doesn't.

-Jaime Lannister

#6 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

I see, well the Cyberpower does have a better processor and more hard drive space, for less than the HP, so I would go with that one. If you can provide a link to it I could check to be sure if it has a memory card reader or not. You can also buy them fairly cheap online if it doesn't.

Here's the link! Thanks!

http://www.costco.com/.product.100139839.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PersonalizedClickCPInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|PersonalizedClickCPInCategory

#7 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

That one does not seem to have a built in SD card reader. but you can install one like this in the smaller expansion bay on the front.

-Jaime Lannister

#8 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

That one does not seem to have a built in SD card reader. but you can install one like this in the smaller expansion bay on the front.

Well that looks cheap enough! Thanks for all the help! I still have to make up my mind whether I am buying a new one or not!

#9 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:20 AM

If your computer is working fine now, I would recommend waiting. I know waiting until it dies wouldn't be ideal, but 2015 has a lot of new architectures coming out, plus X99/DDR4 has already been released; I think they are definitely worth waiting for.

-Jaime Lannister

#10 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

If your computer is working fine now, I would recommend waiting. I know waiting until it dies wouldn't be ideal, but 2015 has a lot of new architectures coming out, plus X99/DDR4 has already been released; I think they are definitely worth waiting for.

X99/DDR4????

#11 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

Haha well X99 is a motherboard chipset and DDR4 is the newest standard for RAM, they are just improvements on the current standards. Skylake and broadwell are supposed to be released this year, they are Intel CPU architectures. I am waiting on the price drops and new CPUs before I upgrade my current computer. Granted you may not really see THAT much gain in performance, since you will just be doing moderately intense usage, I just like having the newest and best.

-Jaime Lannister

#12 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Haha well X99 is a motherboard chipset and DDR4 is the newest standard for RAM, they are just improvements on the current standards. Skylake and broadwell are supposed to be released this year, they are Intel CPU architectures. I am waiting on the price drops and new CPUs before I upgrade my current computer. Granted you may not really see THAT much gain in performance, since you will just be doing moderately intense usage, I just like having the newest and best.

I understand completely!!! I always used to be the newest and best kind of guy too! Kind of still em but I know I really don't need to be anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users